Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
follow up AVs plantstand

Posted by mbjos pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 14:43

HI
First thank you to all who answer my questions. Just to let you know toss some of the sickest looking Av's, but kept some.
Ordered some new plants and leaves. Never ordered leaves before and I would like some asvise on how to grow. Some are expensive leaves[Russian] and I'm starting to panic! Also what are episcia? Are they grown just like violets? Found a bookshelf at an estate sale[50x49] what kind of lights can I
use? Shop lites to wide.
Thanks again in advance, Mary Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: follow up AVs plantstand

Hi Mary Beth,
Glad to see you found some shelving to suit your needs. Now you need to get a couple shop lites for them. Years ago I bought shop lites at Home Depot and Sears. They were 48 inch with two bulbs. Only problem with them was the bulbs were too close together. If your shelves are 49 inches wide you will need two per shelf. Just make sure you get fixtures that take 48" bulbs. Smaller bulbs are more expeive.
An episcia is a gesneriad plant. We often say it is a cousin to the violet. Most of thme have beautiful foliage but their bloom is minor.
I start leaves in my soil mix of 1 part peat, 1 part coarse vermiculite and one part coarse perlite. I cut the stem of the leaf on an angle with the cut facing front and insert it into dampened soil mix. If you email me I can send you a sheet that I distribute when I speak to groups.
I have included a link just for you to see what I mean about shop lights.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: hardware store

o

Fred, Thanks for the info.

Fred,
Thanks for the info,but shop lights are to big depth wise. shelves are 49in long and 10in deep. Can I use under the counter lights instead?
Thanks,Mary Beth

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 12:48

Mary Beth, one shop light per shelf should be perfect. Be aware though, that if your shelving unit has a back, you will need extra-good air circulation to prevent powdery mildew.

Episcias like a bit more light, more moisture, and more humidity than AVs.

Good luck and have fun!

Korina
~embrace the confusion~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here