Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Anyone know of a Secret Violet Nursery?

birdsnblooms
10 years ago

Howdy,

I don't know if anyone here is willing to share a secretive online violet nursery. :)

I'm searching for bell-shaped flowers.
I found one on Ebay called, 'School Bells,' but the seller is out.

I browsed Selective Gardener's site..They have two Optimera series: AnnaBelle and IsaBelle.
However, after checking SG's feedback on GardenWatchddog, I wasn't too impressed.
Each violet is 15.00 in a 4" pot..haven't checked shipping cost yet.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate finding one or all of the above violets.

Thanks, Toni

Comments (11)

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

The bells are very new ... with Optimara, perhaps, being the sole hybridizer.

That means that they'll be expensive and rare for awhile.

If they're not showing up on ebay, I don't know where else to look.

• terrilou
    10 years ago

I don't know of any online source but I seem to recall someone mentioning she had picked up a bell at one of the retail stores Optimara supplies. . . I don't know which. Apparently, on occasion some are included in their shipments to the big box stores.

Terri

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning,

Hi Aegis,

What do you consider new?
    I can't recall the year, 'perhaps 7-8-yrs-ago,' our local grocery store had a true blue, smallish, bell-flower AV.
    It was much fussier than other AV's.

I posted a photo here on GW, but no one could make an ID.
    Since it didn't have a label, I don't know which nursery it was shipped. It might have been Optimara.

Optimara plants are sold here and have been for years.
    After researching on Google, I found Optimara AV's, Belle series. I 'assumed' the blue AV was Optimara.

Long story short, 3-years ago I received a plant from an online nursery, 'not AV' which had mealy eggs. So, of course, my AV's went in the trash.

I wish I could find another of the same type.

One seller had Isabella, but it sold fast.

Although Isa is pretty, I have my heart set on Blue Bells. The seller has Isa leaves, but he wants 9.00 for shipping!

Hi Terri...Whenever I go grocery shopping or BBS's, I look for bell-shaped AV's. Unfortunately, I haven't seen these violets since the blue-bell at the grocery store.
    Most stores here sell the same, old, common plants.

Thanks for responding. I'll continue searching. :) Toni

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

Violet Gallery has School Bells, along with others:

Standard: Ajohn's Spinning Bells; Bells of Ireland

Semi: Alchemy Gold; Rob's Pewter Bells; School Bells; Sea Bells; Senk's Morning Star (trailer)

Mini: Baby Jay; Chapel Bells; Imp's Fortuitous Fancy; Imp's Rose Quartz; Lil' Ballerina; Oui Bells; Tsunami; Tundra Trumpets

I think they have others, check out their online catalog. They sell only leaves.

In my experience my AVs for some reason have difficulty maintaining the bell shape. A lot of my plants just sport into pansy or star shape.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Gallery

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ultra Violet,

Thank you..

I wish Violet Gallery still sold plants. It's been several years since I've rooted violet leaves, therefore I don't trust myself. :)

Maybe I'm expecting too much. lol. The blue AV I had back in 2009's flowers were truly bell-shaped.

Here's a photo taken 2009.

{{gwi:368695}}

Thanks, Toni

• tavimh
    10 years ago

Chantaspring is a lovely little plant. A miniature trailer with while/light yellow bells.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Afternoon,

Tav..I have a problems w/minis for some reason. :(
    I have Jolly Jubilee, a semi-mini, which is doing fine, so far, but we'll see how it over-winters. Thanks.

1Beauty. Funny, I was just checking Violet Venture when I found your email/post.
    VV is limiated. Do they sell plants or leaves? Thanks

BTW, has anyone ever ordered from Optimara/Selective Gardener?
    I've been trying to get hold of this company. I phoned, emailed and wrote throught a Contact window on their site.
    I also went to GardenWatchdog to read feedback. I wasn't very optimistic. Although the last entry was Positive, the buyer got the wrong items, which is confusing considering he never got what he ordered. lol.

I don't want to place an order for Belle series if they're unavailable, only to get replacements.
    SG's prices are a tad high to begin with..and I'm working with little space for violets. Don't want plants I either have or have no interest.

Thanks for your help...Toni

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

i ordered some of the 1" and 2.5" clear plastic pots from them a several weeks ago.

in good news, i did receive an email response from them within the hour when i questioned (by replying to my receipt) how exactly the wick was supposed to be placed in some of the pots when the pots arrived.

in bad news, their zoom-in picture of the items i got was *not* what i received, and SG didn't even acknowledge my comment about it when i mentioned it in that same email. apparently they've changed their design and the web site was not updated? i will not order again, personally.

• aviolet6
    10 years ago

I once had a plant that looked like yours Toni. I got it at wal-mart. I had difficulty growing it properly though. It kept growing tall and not wide. Developed a long neck but with leaves. I tried cutting it off more than once and starting over with just the crown, but it always got back into the same pattern. It was probably a lighting issue.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Afternoon,

Aviolet,

You're lucky your Walmart sells Violets.

Our store was remodeled...since, they no longer sell as many plants as they once did..Especially AV's.

So, you found it difficult to grow?

I can't remember where I heard this, but supposedly, blue bell flowers are supposed to be fussy..More difficult than other violets.

I'm irked at Otimara/Selective Gardener. I sent them an email through their site..No reply. I then sent another email on GardenWatchdog.
    A woman wrote, said she was on vacation, but she'd have another employee notify me.
    That was nearly two-weeks ago.
    I wanted AnnaBelle and IsaBelle.

Again, No reply. I assumed they wanted to sell plants, but apparently they have other priorities. Toni