Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New, need some advice with african violets

Posted by astralparadox vancouver (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 15:21

Hi,

I'm fairly new to taking care of african violets, or any plant really, so I'm looking for some advice on help it to become as nice a plant as possible. So any advice like types of fertilizers, where best to keep the plant (The window sill I have it in right now doesn't get much light, aside from in the evenings) and things like that!

To start off here's a couple pictures of the plant, to give you a sense of what I'm starting off with.

http://i.imgur.com/mjtQxzx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MQYTPt3.jpg

thanks in advanced!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New, need some advice with african violets

Let's see if I can get those images to show for you:

o

I don't have much time to write just now, but the FAQ section should get you started quite nicely ;-)
A few notes from myself: AV's like consistent care, not constant attention. (Ie less fussing, more research ;-p )
They don't like direct sun, or wet feet. But they don't like being dry either.

And we've all killed our share,
put some leaves down to root, don't worry too much and enjoy the ride :-)

Karin

Oh, and welcome, btw!

o

When it is blooming, do not remove any leaves. Rotate it quarter turn each time you water. It is reaching for the light, meaning it needs to be turned. Get it an African Violet friend! They do better in pairs! Looks fine to me. Some people do not fertilize when blooming. Welcome, Joanne

o

Is it in front of an open window? That can be a huge invite for pests. Mites and especially thrips and both can be bad news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here