Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnwright31

Zip Lock Bags and covering

johnwright31
18 years ago

I'm fairly new to AFs, but when you say to put cuttings in a zip lock back, does the bag need to be sealed? or how does the plant get air? Same question for a terrarium that they say to cover with plastic wrap. do you cut holes for air? I know it makes it more humid to cover it, but i'm a little confused. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question :)

Comments (8)

• larry_b
    18 years ago

Hi John,

It's not a dumb question. It does seem a little counterintuitive but a plant can survive in a closed environment for an indefinite amount of time. So, feel free to seal up that ziplock bag.

Larry

• katlady4
    16 years ago

Should the entire plant, including pot be enclosed in the zip lock bag. When isolating a new plant, how long should it be kept in the zip lock bag?

Kathy

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Kathy -

there are 2 different issues. If you repotted your plant, rerooted the crown or put leaves down - it will help to put your plant or plants under the dome or in a plasic baggie - usually 2 weeks is enough- then you can start opening your ziplock bag or dome gradually adjusting the plant to outside air - in a week. Leaves - you can keep them covered until the babies show up.

Isolation - the best is to keep the new plant isolated for 3 months. Another room works OK. You can use a tray and a tall dome - if you need to keep new plants on the same shelf. I do not think that a ziplock bag will be convenient for such a long period of time.

Good luck

Irina

• katlady4
    16 years ago

Thank you Irina for your input and information. I thought 3 months might be a long time for a leaf or plant to live in a plastic bag.
    As for keeping in another room - I have purchased leaves from three growers via ebay. So I assume these should not be isolated in the same area - I would isolate by grower. Can I put plants in the same room, with one grower's plants on one side of the room and one on the other side?
    Hope this makes sense.
    Kathy

• irina_co
    16 years ago

I would soak for 10 min. and wash them all in dishwashing soap and clorax solution - 1/3 Clorax - rinse, recut - and plant them all together. But if you have space - you can keep them separate.

It is much less danger to pick something from leaves - than from a potted plant.

The bugs will not cross the room on their own - you need to wash your hands, tools, watering can spout - whatever touches plants.

Good Luck

irina

• katlady4
    16 years ago

When you use a zip lock bag (for new plants or leaves) or a dome covering, can you put under lighting or will this cook the plant? Thanks for answering my many questions.

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    In answer to your last question, yes, you can put the leaf or plant in a zip lock bag under lights. Just check it weekly to make sure it doesn't dry out. I used to use zip lock bags until I found a plastic container with a high clear dome in a local restaurant supply. I now start all my leaves in them even if they are from my collection. It keeps the humidity high and the soil moist longer, in addition the leaf doesn't touch any part of the container which could cause leaf rot if it is too wet.
    Fred in NJ

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi,
    In answer to your last question, yes, you can put the leaf or plant in a zip lock bag under lights. Just check it weekly to make sure it doesn't dry out. I used to use zip lock bags until I found a plastic container with a high clear dome in a local restaurant supply. I now start all my leaves in them even if they are from my collection. It keeps the humidity high and the soil moist longer, in addition the leaf doesn't touch any part of the container which could cause leaf rot if it is too wet.
    Fred in NJ