Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

Would this be a tight crown?

aharriedmom
11 years ago

Since I've been reading so much on the forum, I'm getting just enough knowledge to worry about everything. It was a lot easier when I had no idea that so many things could go wrong. I used to only know that plants would die if you didn't water them and give them light, or if you watered them too much - no worries! (maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not too much)

Same plant, two pictures.

{{gwi:368836}}
{{gwi:368837}}

THANK YOU!

Comments (3)

• Dan796
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Congrat's that's a beautiful and well grown plant!
    You should be proud of yourself!
    So relax! Don't over think it!
    Remove the row of oldest leaves with the longest stems.(and root them)
    and add a few more flowers, and you could probably enter that AV in a competition somewhere!
    It doesn't look like it's too tight a crown for that variety in your pictures.
    Some AV's grow looser, some tighter in the crown.
    I don't know what kind of light you grow it with?
    Artificial, VS Sunlight.
    Looks like over head artificial light from the symetry you have to me. If you're very concerned about it, you can try raising your lights about 2-4 inches for a few months and see if the crown will loosen up some.
    Too much light can overly tighten a plant, shortens the stems too much, and causes a strong downward curling of the leaf tips.
    Too little light, and the plant gets too loose, enlongates the stems, get spindlie, and the leaves will reach for more light. And it looks like a weak plant.
    Your's is a good strong looking plant!
    Keep doing what you are doing!
    you're doing it right!
    Good Job!

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! It's all natural light for my AVs, I don't have any artificial (yet, haha).

This one is just finishing up a blooming spurt - it has new buds forming but those are the last two flowers from a bunch that were up.

As far as rooting them - if all the leaves I have going produce plants, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them until they grow enough to give as gifts to random people. I'll need artificial lights, lol.

Thanks again! One less thing to worry about. :D

• Dan796
    11 years ago

Then, I'm even more impressed if you grew it by natural light! Way to Go!

"As far as rooting them - if all the leaves I have going produce plants, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with them until they grow enough to give as gifts to random people. I'll need artificial lights, lol."

LOL, Please, Put me on your "Ramdom people" list then!
    I'd be glad to have some of your beautiful, healthy plants!
    Keep up the good work!
    God Bless You!