Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelw453

Newbie - Lighting Question - have pics of mine

angelw453
13 years ago

I have read that plant lights should be placed anywhere from 18" - 24" above the plants, so I placed mine at 21" above.

One violet I purchased had it's leaves quite upright, so I'm guessing it wasn't getting enough light in it's former home? But, the leaves haven't all come down, yet, so I don't know if I'm providing enough light.

I have pics of my plant stand with lights, if this is helpful.

Thanks,

Tari

Comments (15)

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

Rule of thumb is that the light bulb should be approximately 10-12 inches above the foliage of a standard and much closer for a mini or semiminiature, about 6-10 inches.

Nancy

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to add that one of my stands sits by a north window. With this window, do I still need to move the light closer to the plants. I have a picture that I can send, if that helps.

Thanks,
    Tari

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Hi Angel,

It does sound like you have the lights too far above the violets. Yes, a picture would be useful. Also it would be nice to see your setup. :-)

Larry

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Violet stand # 1

Part of plant stand sits in front of a north window

Lights of America Grow Light Stick - 24", 17 watt, under cabinet. Has 1 bulb and is set at 21" above the shelf itself, which makes it roughly 16 - 17" above the plants.

Timer set from 6 am to 9 pm

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368838}}

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Violet stand # 2

I forgot to add info for pic # 1. There are 2 grow lights per stand on stands 1 and 2.

Lights of America Grow Light Stick - 24", 17 watt, under cabinet. Has 1 bulb and is set at 21" above the shelf itself, which makes them roughly 16 - 17" above the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368839}}

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Violet stand # 3

This is the only stand that I can adjust the height of the light, so since I first posted about my lighting, I have moved the light on this stand closer to the plants. There is only one working bulb in this fixture, but it holds 2 bulbs. Should I get another bulb?

This stand gets the morning sun shinning on the plants, but it is at some times filtered by a large Pin Oak tree

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:368840}}

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Tari -

your plants are way too far from the lights.

What you can do - if you can move the shelves or lights - it will be the easiest.

You can put a box ot a tray or 2 under your plants to move them closer to the lights.

You can put a "shade" around the lights = - wrap the shelf that supports you lights with a length of foil or mylar to reflect light back to the plants instead of of lighting the room.

Otherwise -

GOOD JOB

Irina

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I'm going to go buy some used flourescent light fixtures and bulbs today, then I will be able to move the lights closer to the plants. I will post new pics when I get them all installed!

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I got new lights on my violets. 2 of my plant stands are 6' long and my new lights are 8' long, so it's not quite as nice looking as with the previous lights, but the AV's should like these much better!

There are 2 flourescent tubes in both of the new T-12 fixtures. The tubes are 75 watts each. They are WSI (http://www.wsilighting.com) Industrial Vision Plus lamps, model # F96T12/W655. I have them at about 11" above the plants. We wrapped wire around the fixtures to hang them from the center support, but I think I need to adjust them down a little more, to get them to the 10" mark. It's kind of tricky getting them just right.

I also added another bulb to stand # 3, so there are now 2 40 watt bulbs hanging at 10" above the leaves.

I'm most interested to know if this is enough lights to make my plants grow and bloom well. Please let me know what you think!

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/w453angel/My%20African%20Violets/VioletStandNewLights1.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/w453angel/My%20African%20Violets/VioletStandNewLights2.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/w453angel/My%20African%20Violets/VioletStandNewLights2and3.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/w453angel/My%20African%20Violets/VioletStandNewLights3.jpg

Thanks,
    Tari

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Tari -

hope you didn't spend too much money on 8-footers.

If you shift your long tubes to one side - you will have a nice corner - where you can put your small round table and grow a specimen - a perfect large plant of your choice.

I am expecting to see first bloom on your starters in no time ;-)). Keep your camera ready!

Irina

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think the high wattage is OK for the Violets, at the height of about 10" above them? I don't want to burn them or have them get tight crowns and/or ruin them.

Since all my "new" lights are actually used, I only paid $30.00 for 4, 8 ft fixtures, including the bulbs and a 4 ft fixture that holds 4 bulbs including the bulbs. Pretty good deal, I think!

We are using the corner as a little storage area, but I may decide to rearrange a bit and put a plant there, instead.

Tari

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

That is a good deal :)

I don't think the wattage makes a difference (someone else with more expertise may chime in here and correct me :) but I would raise the plants closer to the bulbs.

Dora

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Are they actually 75W, or are they equivalent to 75W incandescent? They look huge (in diameter) so I'm guessing they are actually 75W. That is pretty high. I had some violets under a 30W, maybe about 8-10 inches away, and while they grew pretty quickly - you can't believe how quickly I got new babies to pop up under those conditions - I did end up bleaching a lot of the leaves. No actual burning, but pale green-yellow leaves on everything. I've since moved a lot of those elsewhere, and some ended up on my desk under a lamp, which still has a 30W bulb in it, but it's on for less time and that one CFL bulb is lighting a lot of plants. I still think I am bleaching my Chantaspring, so I may have to move it off further to the side.

I have an 85W 12-14 inches away from a streptocarpus that is doing quite well. The 85W is also being diffused by a screen, though, so it's not as powerful as it would be straight on.

In my opinion, I would leave it where it is right now (11 inches, you said?), and watch them. Violets tend to be pretty tough, so you'll see whether or not they want to be closer to the lights. My 30W CFL is about 8-9 inches away from my desk violets, and the light is on about 12 hrs a day, and they are almost all blooming happily.

{{gwi:368842}}

In the right corner, inside the cake dome, you can see how yellow Chantaspring's leaves are. It should be a bright green. I'll have to do some adjusting.

• angelw453
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are actually 75 watt bulbs, 2 per fixture in the 8' fixtures.

The 4 ft fixture has 2, 40 watt bulbs in it.

Hopefully, these aren't too strong. I don't want to do damage with too much light.

Any input on the correct wattage would be greatly appreciated! I can go buy different bulbs, if I need to.

Thanks,
    Tari

• irina_co
    13 years ago

If you calculate - 40w per 4 feet is actually more than 75w per 8 feet - so the brightness is comparable or less. '

The only issue I see - it will be more expensive and cumbersome to replace these long tubes. Any tube goes weak in a year - and you need to replace them. Before it was recommended to replace them every 6 months - but I think they are better nowdays and can work longer without going significantly down.

Should be just right.

Irina