Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disbudding

Posted by mscynthia Tx (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 16:04

First, I've gone crazy the last few days and bought six AVs and a set of leaves off eBay. I bought Rob's Sunspot, Rob's Argyle Socks, Ness' Sheer Peach, Ness' Angel Babe, Orchard's Bumble Magnet, a standard called Marguerite and leaves of Mac's Magical Mandarin. Oooo, I swore I wasn't going to get hooked on the mini's and semi-mini's. So much for that.

So, my question is about disbudding. Some sellers say they disbud their AVs before shipping. If the plant has buds when it arrives, should I disbud them to make adjusting to their new home easier?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disbudding

Cynthia,

I would disbud them just to give them a little rest. They will have spent 2-3 days in a box and will be a little stressed anyway, so that will help them. It will also encourage a heavier bloom later anyway.

If you have a club in your area, JOIN. You'll meet a great group of people, and will probably be able to increase your collection for a lot less money by trading with members.

Watch out for OCAVD (obsessive compulsive african violet disorder), it is an epidemic.

Barbara

o

Hi Cynthia,
I agree with Barbara, disbud the plants for their own good but only after you see what the bloom looks like and if it matches the description. If it does then I would strip it down, disbud and repot using my soil mix.
Fred in NJ (One of the epidemic leaders)

o

Thanks, Barbara and Fred. I've read a lot of your posts and really respect your knowledge.

As for OCAVD, it looks like it's too late for me to be saved. I'll look into a local AV society - which will, no doubt, make the OVAVD even worse. :)

o

Fred, good point about verifying that the bloom is as described.

Cynthia, glad you will find a local club. It's so fun to take leaves and plantlets to the meetings, talk about a feeding frenzy! I now keep a box of baggies and a sharpie marker in my glove box so I don't forget them. I also take my list of 'haves' with me so as to not duplicate varieties. And the extent of experience of others is amazing.

Good luck.

Barbara

o

I have not fallen into the "OCAVD" just yet, I have been abstaining, but I am borderline. Its just a matter of time for me. For me its more the challenge of trying to save some from walmarts flooding hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here