Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Powdery something on my violets!

Posted by mrsdymacek (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 16:09

I am a rookie in every sense of the word when it comes to african violets. I have a few in different places around the house. One (the only one in a self-water violet pot)has developed this white powdery stuff , first on healthy blooms, then on leaves. Anyone know what this is? Is there a chemical free cure? The one right beside it seems unaffected but who knows what may happen in a few days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Powdery something on my violets!

When you use self-watering pots, a lot of times the top of your soil forms a white film (that's why I stopped using those). As for the plant and flowers, it might be mildew. You'll need to increase the circulation, so if its with other plants I'd isolate it. There are a lot of effective chemical treatments, but non chemical treatments include brushing milk over the leaves, or a baking soda solution spray (1 tsp/quart). If you have any Lysol around the house and are willing to go chemical, Lysol works well, but may leave spots on your plant, which it will eventually grow out of anyway.

o

Thanks!

o

Hi,
I agree that your problem is powdery mildew. Lysol disinfectant spray is one quick solution but you should know that it will kill off all the bloom when you spray. Do not spray directly on the plants but spray in the air above the plant and let the spray settle on the leaves and blossoms. After spraying I would increase your air circulation around the plant. I grow my AV's in a loft and have a ceiling fan running 24/7 and when the lights are on I have an oscillating fan running also.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here