Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lathyrus_odoratus

They are Here!

lathyrus_odoratus
14 years ago

I opened my condo door to check the mail and there was a box sitting in front of my door. I looked quickly...yep, Priority Mail. It must be....I picked it up, read the label....YEA!!!!!!!!!!!! It's my little leaves (and the many supplies I bought to go with it. (A BIG thank you to one of my neighbors who brought the box to my door instead of leaving it in the mailroom).

OK, background. I work at home. I need to work or I can't bill my clients. I can't bill my clients, I can't get paid. Do I head back to my computer to work? Not a chance!

I get my trusting package opening thingee (for all of the Internet buying I do...) and rip into it. OK, not a rip, just a gentle cut just in case. First out come an assortment of containers - I bought for the future - then a box....HotPockets. Huh? After a few seconds, my feeble brain decided this MUST be the leaf box. I chuckled as I opened it.

Yep, leaves! But LOTS of leaves. LIke more than I expected leaves. After I finished everything and put away my wicks and Optimara Maxi thingees and pots etc., I went back to the leaves. Anastasia, check. Aca's something - gift. Hey, isn't that nice? They sent me a gift! Ann, check. Bob Serbin, check. Tony's Jennifer - hey, another gift! Allegro Coronation, check. Sugar Plum Dream, check. Apache Warbonnet - hey, another gift and one I almost bought but didn't!

I can't believe they sent me so many free leaves. I am thrilled. The service was fast, the leaves are in great shape - still moist in their little paper footies.

Only problem - I haven't gone to my studio to get my vermiculite and perlite....I may head to the store after I go back to work for awhile. It's closer to go to an Ace or True Value and pay an arm and a leg than to get to my studio (another compulsion: stained glass and a darkroom).

Since I have to pay premium for the potting stuff, I guess I have to go back to work to pay for it, lol. Drat it.

Comments (16)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Walked to the big box store and had little to choose from that would help. Why do they assume we all want fertilizer in everything they sell? Because space is at a premium in a condo, I prefer not to buy big bags, so often get the smaller ones that they seem to always add ferts to.

I bought some perlite and a potting mix that was 50/50 peat and vermiculite (the ONLY one without a fertilizer). Between them I made a mix for the cuttings.

I used the bottom and top of a Gardener's Supply seed starting thingee - just put the mix in the bottom, added the leaves, and then put on the top. I'm not at all sure my mix is wet enough. I was a bit concerned about rotting, so I may have gone too far the other way. I guess I'll notice soon enough if there is condensation when it's warm out.

I cut all the stems with the 45 degree angle, leaving them about 1 inch long. The leaves were small enough and the petioles short enough, with the exception of two types, that this was as long as they could be. One stem had a break in it, so it's only about 3/8 to 1/2" long.

Now, for the waiting.

Oh! When I was at the big box store, I couldn't help but look at the poor ragged violets there. I almost bought one that looked like it has a sucker, just so I could practice. That was until a little fruit fly buzzed me. I don't need any of those at home, thank you.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I did err on the side of dry and the mix needed more water. This afternoon I could see the mix on top absolutely bone dry. I didn't have an eye dropper, so I took the syringe I use to measure fertilizers and carefully squirted the water on the soil. It seems much better now.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Congrats, you are on your way to becoming and AV addict like so many of us here. Keep us posted on the progress of the leaves.
    Fred in NJ

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Fred. I'm terrified I'll kill them! I hate gardening casualties! OK, terrified is a bit of a strong word, but it would have been so much easier if I'd been able to see someone do it. Reading and interpreting between the lines, even with very good directions, is always harder than just watching (at least for me).

I really haven't a clue as to how wet the soil should be. I know not too wet, so I'm probably being too cautious. If I keep my eye on it and it keeps drying out, I'll know it's not enough (it's in a covered container I use for other seedlings).

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi again,
    I grow all my plants on wicks, My potting medium is a 1-1-1 mix of peat or potting soil,coarse perlite and coarse vermiculite. If you use a light mix like I do, then the plants take only what the need. Just make sure the wick is damp when you start. I suggest you try it on one plant to see if it works for you.
    Fred in NJ

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't start these on wicks - the plants will be on them, though. But, I had to debate the ease of starting in a large tray (with a bunch of leaves) or individual pots. Right now, until I can get the right stuff, my vermiculite is fine, as is the peat. The perlite is moderate, but not the really coarse stuff. It does dry out quickly, which is good. I could set up wicks but not until early next week - it's a very busy weekend for me.

I'm thinking of using a gritty mix - pine back, Turface, and crushed granite - when the plants have started. It works really well with succulents and drains excellently. Not soggy feet. A grower in the Container forum uses it with AVs successfully. He doesn't wick, though.

I guess I'll be experimenting a bit!

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update: It's 3 weeks later and 13 of the 16 are rooted. The ones that are not rooted still look OK, they just aren't rooted.

Now for the waiting game. It could be a few weeks or many months before I see anything else happening. I'm hopeful that all of these will continue to grow nicely and do what they are supposed to.

I took advantage of the Buckeye Violet offer - I joined AVSA and will be getting 10 free Buckeye leaves. I'm glad I waited to send for them until these rooted. I feel like I sort of "know" how to do it and be successful now.

Looking forward to seeing what ones I get. There are two I liked particularly, so I also paid for those. If all of these procreate, I'll have 28 new plants in my condo....right now hubby doesn't have a clue; he sees a few leaves. I may have to buy the condo next door if I keep buying leaves!

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hey Lath,
    See how quickly u can become addicted? I have been growing now for over 25 years and I still can't reisit a new plant. Although I do exhibit AV's at my local shows I find the greatest satisfaction seeing the leaves growing little plantlets and them growing into blooming specimens. It usually takes about 9 months to get from a leaf to a plant with some bloom. Minis and semis grow much faster and bloom quicker.
    Fred in NJ

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Fred, I knew that I was addicted from day one. It's really funny because I tend to know a bit about flowers and growing things. I have lots of houseplant books, etc. I've grown many indoor plants....but I never knew that AVs came in SO many colors, leaf shapes, bloom types, etc. I just stopped in here because I couldn't sleep and thought I'd find out what I could have done about an AV I had years ago that got floppy (it had a long neck, I now know).

As soon as I saw the first images when I followed a link? I was sunk.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Your next step should be to join AVSA and find a local club in you area. AVSA is our national association which gives out lots of info, promotes violets, sets up a nationl convention annually, helps affiliates, tests judges, and puts out a magazine every other month which is an invaluable aid to growing.
    But the main thing that you shold do besides the things I have mentioned would be to sit back and enjoy your plants.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I joined AVSA immediately. I don't have a club locally that is very close to me, however. I don't own a car and the clubs are all in the suburbs - public transportation often doesn't go where the meetings are.

I am enjoying. I see the first offspring popping out of the soil today on one of the leaves. It's just about 35 days from planting, so that is wonderful. Nothing on the others yet, but I'm thrilled for this one! Heck, I still have two leaves that haven't rooted. I took one out and recut it last week. Hopefully that will do the trick.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I don't know that I would've recut the leaf. In fact, wouldn't that essentially reset it? I mean, I don't know for sure, but to me that would be like starting it back at day 1, since I'm assuming that all the action that would start the roots going were in the end, the part that was now cut off. If I am wrong in this assumption, someone please correct me. I don't even recut leaves when I repot a leaf after removing some plantlets, figuring that if it retains a decent amount of roots it will produce new plantlets much faster.

35 days is fast. I've had leaves that didn't produce plantlets for a year. That is extreme, however. The majority of leaves that I start take about 2-3 months to produce plantlets. It's always exciting to see the mouse ears popping up out of the soil... congrats! I have some I'm particularly excited about right now: Warm Sunshine, Little Lizzy, Chantaspring, and Teeny Bopper. The last three because they are mini trailers (well, Little Lizzy might be a semimini) and because I've failed with Warm Sunshine in the past.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I thought that 35 days was very fast! It's an Apache Warbonnet - which was a gift leaf from an order I placed.

Per the recut petiole, it wasn't rooting and I am concerned that it's going to die if it doesn't root. It certainly can't provide offspring if it doesn't root!

So, I am starting at day one, but it wasn't doing anything anyway. I have two of the same variety - Anastasia - and neither were rooted at 30 days. I left the one as is and recut the other. I thought it might stimulate it to do something!

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I guess I generally don't worry about whether or not a leaf will root until it looks like it's taking a turn for the worse, in which case, I'd cut off mushy stem if I can. But you have two of the same, and you already did it, and you'll also more than likely have more plantlets than you need, even from one leaf, so the only thing lost is maybe a little extra time. Since they both weren't rooted yet, it seems that it's either a slow variety, or the leaves came from a less than optimal spot. It'll be interesting to see which one does send out plantlets first, the untouched one or the one that got 'stressed', since sometimes stress encourages a survival reflex in AVs, according to the people who squeeze or jolt chronic nonbloomers into sending out buds.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    Original Author
    14 years ago

quinnfyre, that was mostly my thinking. I had two and I had little to lose. The leaves were still looking good, but I didn't want to wait until it was deteriorating, if that makes sense. It may indeed just be a variety that takes a long time; I doubt the leaves were older ones, but they could have been.

Interesting about the stress. I've stressed these 16 leaves unbelievably, lol. I dropped them and had to replant them. I decided to move them from one media to another. I've been a impatient surrogate whose mucked around in the soil looking for roots, etc. I've never been a patient gardener, lol.

But, in 35 days, I have offspring on one leaf and today, which is day 37, I have another offspring on a different leaf. So, I guess I haven't bothered them too much!

• jazzgirl476
    13 years ago

I have just recently bought leaves to try to propagate. In the past I have always stuck with small plants, but found some varieties that could only get the leaves. Anyway, I have them all potted and placed plastic bags over them. Mix was light and watered prior to inserting leaf. Now....WHEN DO I WATER AGAIN. Surely they must need more water before I have "babies" and they get unbagged. I guess that's my question and I can't see a definitive answer in any of the posts or websites I've searched. It's probably so fundamental no body has asked!!!

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County