Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Stressing leaves to start them

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

I saw the Illinois AV lady video-attempt-thingie and her Rx to 'stress' the leaves by cutting the tops of the leaves off to trick, or cause, the leaf to force its energy into rooting.

I suspect some out there have tried this.

I know that in greenhouses with other plants, they like to mow off the tops of plants to force them to send up new leaves, and enlarge the root system ...

Thots?

thanx!

dave

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave,

I believe the idea behind this is that, sometimes, after a leaf roots, the leaf will grow rather than produce babies. Cutting off the top of the leaf is supposed to stop this growth and focus on producing babies.
    I've tried both ways; cutting and not cutting the tops of the leaves, and I really haven't seen much difference in rooting times. I will cut the top off of a leaf that is taking too long to produce babies. Still, It's difficult to know if this hurries them along or not.I've also had leaves continue to grow after they have been cut. Not often, but it does happen.
    Some people swear by this method, however.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I cut the tips of standard violet leaves. To tell how much faster the babies show up - I didn't run an experiment rooting one. tipped and one whole- to say - it cuts time 8,25%. But I tell you what benefit I value - the rooted leaves continue to grow - and since I root them in 3 oz. solo cups - they start tipping over with rhubarb size leaves in them. The tip cut leaves do not grow that much.

I read that cutting the tops of plants increases the amount of auxin hormones that wake up the side buds of the plant making it grow side branches and look bushier. I do not know that it is a similar mechanism or not in the idea of tipping leaves.

i.

• becky15349
    10 years ago

How long do leaf cuttings generally take to root and produce new leaves?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Becky,

As long as they want...I have had leaves take a year to produce babies and I have had babies pop up in two weeks. These are both extremes.
    I believe the rule of thumb is six months from leaf-set until bloom. Much depends on the temperature, the leaf itself and the growing conditions as well as other things. As long as the leaf is alive in the rooting medium it is capable of producing babies.
    That said-it's really easy and quite rewarding!

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Also, the small plants are extremely difficult to care for if you want to treat them as normal plant:

Use a transparent plastic box,
    Use small pot with sterile potting material (like my charcoal crumbles),
    Do not water until you have to, etc.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

In majority of the cases - the babies do not require too much extra babying. Strong healthy mother leaf - large - but not old - gives very sturdy babies. Just do not separate them too early - let them develop leaves to the size of the nickel before separating.

But - sometimes - we do not have good mother leaves. Sometimes - we got a leaf through the mail - and we really do not know if it will croak or not. We are losing the plant to the root rot - and there not very many leaves left to save. Then you at best have a weak baby - you need to work hard to pull it through. Here the advice from JJJJ comes as a lifesaver. Keep the baby enclosed, keep it barely moist etc.etc.

Irina

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by irina_co z5 CO (My Page) on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 13:36

Thank you Irina :)