Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_garden

New to African Violets

rosie.garden
11 years ago

Good Afternoon,

I've been browsing this forum all day and its been a wealth of information.

I just want to say how excited I am to have found African Violets. I'm very new to the gardening (Coleus was my first love) and have absolutely fallen in love with the African Violet.

I ordered 4, 1 plant and 3 leaves.

Rainy Day Lovin

Summer Comfort

Solemn Promise

Cranberry Crush

I have a couple days to get pots and stuff together. I can't wait!

Comments (17)

• JDB1935
    11 years ago

warning it will take over 4 today 40 next month.

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Rosie welcome to our addiction. =o)

• rosie.garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks nyxx and JDB.

I have a quick question. I've done so much reading that I'm getting confused. Some websites say to root your leaves in water and then move them to potting mix, other say directly into potting mix.

Once I get my leaves, what should I put them in? Also, if I put them in a dome like tray for humidity should I open every couple days to refresh the oxygen? Oh and if I do go directly to potting mix should I wick them?

I'm sorry if these are silly questions. I'm very new to all things plants.

• sempak
    11 years ago

where can i have this such of flower

Here is a link that might be useful: bunga

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Solemn Promise has a beautiful flower.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

FIRST - GUYS DO NOT OPEN STRANGE LINKS FROM STRANGE PEOPLE WITH POOR GRAMMAR. It can be legit or it can be virus. I do not even want to know.

Rosie -

I use soil, not water. Your potting mix for the leaves should be very light. You can use Promix BX or Promix HP or seed starter mix or rehydrate a Jiffy pellet and fluff it up. I use 1:1:1 general Cornell mix (peat-perlite-vermiculite) - works too.

The trick is to have the soil barely wet and air very humid. Dome is good and no, you do not need to let the extra oxygen in. I usually throw a piece of a wet acrylic blanket on the bottom of the tray, put all my cuttings in solo cups with wicks and close the dome. I open it every 2 weeks to add water to the blanket and it works as a charm - they all root and give me more babies than I need.

But I think the factor is how fresh leaves are - the sent leaves take longer and do not give that many babies. A friend of mine makes a bowl of tepid water with a pinch of sugar and gives the leaves she got from the mail a 20-30 minutes soak to rehydrate them. Than you recut the stem with a razor blade - and stick it in the soil.

Regarding different methods - there is more ways than one, you try them and choose what you like.

Irina

• rosie.garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Irina, I think thats what I'll do.

This is ridiculous. I'm chomping at the bit waiting for my plants and leaves to come and I'm already shopping for more.
    I suppose its cheaper that a jewelry addiction.

Rosie

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

^ Until you realize that you need supplemental lighting for all the plants - and then you decide that you just need a house with perfectly placed windows.

:D

(I'm also new to AVs and am also waiting impatiently for my first two mail-order plants to arrive)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

AHM -

you actually need both and a good size basement.

At some point you figure out that the best AVs only can be grown under the lights. Here comes the basement - because all the stands are not fitting into the living place upstairs and family complains that the light from the plant stands interferes with the ball game watching... The next thing you realize that there are plenty of AV gesneriad cousins you want to grow too and they are too tall to grow on shelves plus you need to hang some - like 15-20 baskets with columneas and other gessie vines and you need good windows for it. Sunroom will work too. That's how the hobby takes over...

Irina

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

Alas, I have no basement and no sunroom. Though I'll be more likely to get a sunroom than a new house...

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I would love to have a sunroom...looking east...

• GCTBA
    11 years ago

you actually need both and a good size basement.
    At some point you figure out that the best AVs only can be grown under the lights. Here comes the basement - because all the stands are not fitting into the living place upstairs and family complains that the light from the plant stands interferes with the ball game watching... The next thing you realize that there are plenty of AV gesneriad cousins you want to grow too and they are too tall to grow on shelves plus you need to hang some - like 15-20 baskets with columneas and other gessie vines and you need good windows for it. Sunroom will work too. That's how the hobby takes over...
    Irina

What she said -- Andrew

• Dan796
    11 years ago

The Lord helped me get a house!
    And escape from an evil mother!
    No more apartments for me!
    Thank God!
    Now, I'm praying for a greenhouse!

• maguiretrots
    11 years ago

Dan, that is wonderful news.

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Congrats Dan. Very happy for you.

• Dan796
    11 years ago

Thanks all!
    Now, if I can just get rid of the 100 year old Maple tree that blew over during the storm on 4=29=12, Life will be good!

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Dan maybe you have a neighbor like we do that does most of their heating in the winter with wood stove. When one of our trees fell they were more then happy to come over and cut it up and take it away. We only had to get rid of the root ball. People that use a lot of firewood aren't opposed to working a bit for a lot of it for no more cost then their time. And if you get really lucky they might be willing to haul off the root ball too if it remains to get rid of.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?