Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uh-oh, What's wrong with these leaves?

Posted by maguiretrots 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:00

I bought this violet, Austin's Smile, from a reputable vendor on Ebay a few weeks ago. I also got a Pixie Blue, but it crashed upon arrival, so she gave me a refund. I keep this in a window in the bedroom, well, two windows as I switch as the sun changes, and you can see it's been doing very well. However, I started noticing these marks on the leaves, and it's been so long since I've been in AVs, I can't remember what might be causing this. The windows are never opened, by the way. My other AVs are in the front of the house under a light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uh-oh, What's wrong with these leaves?

Another leaf

o

And another

o

The whole plant

o

They look like older leaves with some minor damage from being scraped or bent. Other than that the plant looks rather healthy.

o

Your plant looks healthy. Leaf damage happens, but rarely affects the health of the plant.

o

Thank you! So I can take a deep breath and not worry.

o

Hi,
Looks like water & fertilizer, and/or insecticide burn damage to me.
With perhaps a bit of sun bleaching as a result of the insecticide in too high a light intensity, The damage was probably from spraying just before they increased the shade last spring.
Many greenhouses have so many plants, that watering from the bottom, or carefully from the top is not always fesible.
So they water quickly down the rows, and pockets of damage can sometime occur as a result.
But, as your plants grow with more leaves, you can easily remove the damaged ones after a sutable number of replament leaves grow.
You can even root the damaged leaves once removed, usually with no problem.

o

What is the name of the plant. It is probably one with a pebble texture. You don't see this type of leaf often, so enjoy.

I would not be worried about these leaves. Take an artists' paint bush to brush the debris off the leaves and they will look better. Pretty Plant.

Nancy

o

It's an Austin's Smile, and I do have soft paint brush, but because this one is still in quarantine, I didn't want to risk anything. I'm trying to ignore the debris for now. Therefore, aesthetics will have to wait. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here