Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More leaf questions

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 17:20

I need to get my mix for the leaves, before I did I wanted to ask if anyone uses the rock wool that hydroponic growers use rather than a mix?

Also, the leaves are coming next week and so are the potting materials. If the leaves get here first, may I pot them in mix and then move them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More leaf questions

Hi Lucille,
I wick all my violets using a mix that is one part peat or pro mix, one part coarse vermiculite and one part coarse perlite. I also use it to start my leaves. Some people here us a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of vermiculite and perlite which I believe gives you water roots and then when the leaf is put into a mix it has to reroot all over again.
Fred in NJ

o

I scoped out the vermiculite and perlite at Walmart but it was not coarse grade. Would a garden center have it? I'm sure I can order it online but I would like all of this to be ready by next week when the leaves arrive.

o

You might try one and see but for future reference I order from Cape Cod Violetry.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here