Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Metro Mix Planting Results

stonesriver
16 years ago

I posted a couple of months ago asking about Metro Mix. It is available at most co-ops and, at least here, is less than $20 for a four cubic foot bag.

Anyhow, my Streps, Chiritas, Columnea and AV trailers are doing astounding things!

They are growing well, no yellowing leaves (it's been three months), lots of blooms. Very healthy plants.

From web site: "Formulation with Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, horticultural grade Vermiculite, processed Bark Ash, Bark, starter nutrient charge, Dolomitic Limestone and our long-lasting wetting agent."

I used Metro Mix 360 and coarse perlite with a 1-2 ratio of mix to perlite. I may use a bit more perlite the next time just because I want an even lighter mix.

I still have some of my gessies in 1-1-1 peat, perlite, vermiculite and the ones in the Metro mix + perlite (sitting right next to the others) are growing better and carrying more blooms and reblooming sooner.

I reservoir water and use 1/4 tsb Dyna-Grow to a gallon of water on all of my gessies.

Regards,

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Gro Site with Metro Mix

Comments (12)

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi Linda,
    Sounds like a great product to me. I tried finding a local source for it and came up with zip. Since it is a Candaian product I was wondering where you purchased it and how much it costs.
    Fred in NJ

• fred_hill
    16 years ago

Hi Linda,
    I did a search on Google and found a supplier about 40 miles away. It's near my daughters home so I can stop there when I go down to see the family.
    Fred in NJ

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Fred:
    I get it (and coarse perlite) at my county Co-Op. Seems to me it was around $35 for both. Each came in a four cubic foot bag.

BTW, I bought some cheese cloth, donned my mask, dumped some perlite in a cheese cloth lined collendar, rinsed it with the garden hose, spread the wet perlite in a shallow container and then left it outside in the sun to dry.

This gets rid of the finer particles and not so much "dust" when I mix my soil.

Linda

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Linda - hi,

do you use it for wicking or bottom watering?

Thanks

Irina

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Irina:

I use it for all types of watering: reservoir, bottom, Oyama Planters. A friend also uses it for mat watering. I also have some chiritas in regular pots and water them from the top.

When I find my camera I'll post photos.

Linda

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Linda

- it is Very Interesting.

I was keeping off the mixes containing bark because I was afraid it would turn moldy on the wicks.

So - MetroMix 360! I am googling for it in CO right now.

Irina

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Irina:

I use the one without coir. Metro Mix sure makes it easier when repotting time comes around to mix two ingredients together instead of three. :-)

My friend has been using it for years and I've been using it since April with no ill effects. I did discover one needs a little more than twice the perlite as Metro Mix.

Linda

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Yes - Korina explained us the consequences of using coir. Looks like I wouldn't touch it with a stick.

I.

• bspofford
    16 years ago

I wanted to give some feedback about Metro-Mix 360. I have used it to do my repotting (half done), and am thrilled with the results. I made a mix of 1 part Metro-Mix, 1 part vermiculite, and 2 parts perlite. The one thing I have noticed is that the plants seem to not be so 'shocked' as they were last year. (yeah, okay, I didn't get to it six months ago.....) The first plants that were repotted about a month ago have responded very well, and the more recent plants look great too. And to commit another sin, I haven't bagged any of them after repotting. During the repotting, I have really taken them down in size and removed as much of the old soil as possible.

I think this is great stuff!

Barbara, coming out of the turkey coma..

• irina_co
    16 years ago

Yeah - turkey - and turned to be that I am the only one to eat a green bean casserole - I love it - but not THAT much... 4th day in a row..

For a present I got a bag of worm castings made out of a rabbit manure - so - double potency - the lady who tried it - to add to the soil - has streptocarpus baby blooming 6 weeks after separating it from a mama leaf. I am going to try it - just imagine - double pooped violets will take over the house - with vengeance!

Irina

• billinsc
    14 years ago

Metro Mix is the HEAT!!

Bill in SC

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

It looks like this product is made in Canada but it is not available in Quebec! Even the four sources in Ontario are not big cities. Must be a new product testing places in Canada.

It does look like most of the US is covered, however. We seem always to be a bit behind the times here.

Nancy

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals