Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about ligths: Reflector shields necessary?

Posted by maguiretrots 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 18:17

My husband is head of maintenance at a care center, and they were replacing some fluorescent lights from the rooms, and he offered to bring the old ones home. I asked him to text me pictures, but he said he'd just bring them, so I don't know what they look like. However, of course since they were in a room, they don't have shields. Are reflector shields necessary, like you see on shop lights (and like is on my older 24" plant light)? He's going to build me some stands.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about ligths: Reflector shields necessary?

I've grown under both reflective lights and regular shop lights, and I can't say I noticed any big difference. I noticed more of a difference when I move the lights closer to the plants, or have a red and "blue"/white lights.

o

Not needed. IMHO.

o

Reflectors do reflect up to 30% more light than if not used.
Also reflectors are good for protecting the flouressent bulbs and the plants they shine on from water run off from plants on the shelves above, and reflectors also help to channel any heat to the ends of the shelves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here