Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dang it - Oyama Potting Question

Posted by mscynthia (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 18:43

Just got my first Oyama pot and after potting up my only chimera (Sora Pink Clouds) realized I left the perlite out of the soil mix (not out of the base of the top pot).

The mix is Miracle-Gro AV soil, sifted to remove the sticks, and vermiculite. Probably a 60/40 ratio. Do I need to re-do this? If so, should I do the 1-1-1 mix of AV soil, perlite and vermiculite?

TIA,
Cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dang it - Oyama Potting Question

Yes, you need to repot. You also need more perlite than a 1-1-1 mix. I use twice the perlite as Metro Mix. (see earlier post). My trailers, Streps and Chirita are in Oyama Planters; only my columnea aren't.

Linda

o

By all means you should repot.
Fred in NJ

o

Well, spit.

Thanks, Linda and Fred. No vermiculite in the mix?

o

Yes, you do want vermiculite. I use Metro Mix 360 which already has vermiculite in it.

Linda

o

Okay, I mixed a ton of perlite into the AV soil/vermiculite mix and repotted the violet. Good thing, too - it was sopping wet. I laid the roots of the plant out on some paper towels while I was mixing in the perlite so some of the water could be absorbed.

HOWEVER, I notice today that all the water has been slurped out of the bottom pot. I assume all that perlite I added is what soaked the water up.

The instructions say to refill with water after the first addition of water has been absorbed. My thinking is not to do this since the rootball was so wet. What do y'all think?

The stress is wearing me out! :)

Cynthia

o

Good job! and you are developing good instincts.

I.

o

Thanks, Irina. :) And thanks in general to everyone for their instructions and patience. I promise I'm doing my homework but reading and actually doing something can be worlds apart. And books and FAQs don't offer much reassurance.

I hope I know enough someday to be able to help newbies.

Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here