Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riliye

Kentucky Bride or Pirate's Gold?

Riliye
12 years ago

So I've caught the AV bug, and pretty bad. Right now, all I have is a NOID (it's really pretty pink. I have some buds coming up, so soon I can show pictures!) and since I recently got a new job, I'm considering adding one more, an actual named variety, to my collection as celebration. Whoever said you can't have just one...well they pretty much nailed it, didn't they? It's quickly become my favorite out of all my plants -- don't tell the coleus.

I've been holding off on buying any new AVs until I see that I'm not going to kill the one I have, but thanks to all the great advice on this forum, it's absolutely thriving. Growing like a beautiful little weed now that I sliced off that sucker! I'm a little concerned, however, because isn't the general consensus that NOID's are usually a bit more hardy than the actual named AVs?

The two varieties I'm considering right now are Kentucky Bride or Pirate's Gold. Does anyone have any experience with either of those two being particularly needy or above the learning curve for a relatively new AV'er? I really don't want to get something that I'm not prepared to take care of. It would make me quite sad to kill something off because I'm too new and couldn't read the symptoms of distress.

Or maybe I should continue to hold off for even longer, to play and learn more with my science experime--I mean NOID? I have an email out to the local AVSA affiliate, however, they aren't meeting again until the end of September, so it looks like, for now, y'all are my only source of support!

Ri

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Ri - I had 'Pirate's Gold' - got it from BlueBirdGreenhouse.com - and it didn't grow that well for me. Out of yellow violets my preferred is Lemon Kisses - in my conditions the plant is much nicer, not as floppy.

'Kentucky Bride' has girl leaves. I didn't grow this cultivar - but generally they are harder to grow to the "show quality" - but otherwise - I do not think that they are "easier to kill".

You know what - get 2. These guys are so different - it is like you are deciding- to buy pizza or take a bus. Do both!

I personally do like brighter colors - yellow... it is really off-white, there is no bright yellow so far. But whatever calls to you!

Good Luck and lots of blooms

Irina

• Riliye
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Irina - I'm really a fan of the soft, subtle colors, at least when they are mixed with white. I believe BlueBirdGreenhouse.com is where I was looking as well. What would cause Pirate's Gold to be "floppy"? My AV's will be in a south facing window with bright light but little to no direct sun. During the winter there's really very little light at all here, so they'll be under lights.

Lemon Kisses looks pretty similar to Pirate's Gold, doesn't it? I didn't notice many differences right off the bat, but I didn't look for overly long either.

And I'm afraid I must confess I'm not really sure what "girl leaves" are. Why are they harder to care for? What would need to be done differently?

I should have expected someone to suggest buying both, hah! And I do like pizza and buses, sooo...Geez, don't tell the husband, or I'll be in for it!

Ri

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Girl leaf - I found a good pic in Jana from Indiana foto album. And you can browse her AV and gessie albums - looks like Jana attended at the last Convention I missed.

Lemon Kisses - the flowers as I remember are better shaped and the plant is a small standard, while Pirate's Gold - is a larger plant and leaves didn't want to grow flat for me, went all over the place. Both these hybrids are from Lyndon Lyon greenhouse - and their hybrids are usually have gorgeous flowers and not so good of a rosette - long petioles (leaf stems), kind of airy plant when you can see the soil not covered with leaves.

Regarding Kentucky hybrids - check with Cedar Creek violets - David Rollins is a hybridizer of "Kentucky's" - looks like they have plenty of the colors you like. orderafricanviolets.com

My husband also thinks that I have way too many violets - and I have to agree with him.

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: girl leaf