Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Potting Up Rooted Leaves.

aveo5
13 years ago

I know it is pretty basic,but how do you pot up leave that have been rooted in water, and now have a bunch of babies at the root zone?

I have somehow manage to root 3 of my most expensive and difficult ones to get, a LOT of them,and they are all rooted and had nice tiny babies on most of the stem ends. BUT how deep do i plant them? And into what type of potting medium? Soil, vermiculite, perlite, or what? Do I put them in just deep enough to cover the roots and a tiny bit of stem, or bury the stem and babies an inch or two, or how deep?

I was thinking of using an egg carton as a planting 'tray', the egg holders seem to be a perfect depth to plant them, is it a good idea? Or could I use those tiny plastic Solo cups that I get a lot of my violets in,from EBay sellers.

Do I cut off the 'mother leaf' or leave it on? Some of the leaves are rotting, the stems are firm and the roots and babies are getting big, but the leaf part of the rooted leaves are starting to rot. Is this normal? I thought they needed the 'mother leaf' to grow. But if they are rotting, shouldnt i cut the rotted part off? How do I support the mother leaf, if it stays on when I plant them? I mean they will tip over from the weight of the leaf, so do I cut them off or in half or what? Advise please.

Comments (4)