Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet outside?

Posted by amccour (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 19:53

I've had this African Violet for about a year and it hasn't really done much. No leaf dropping or signs of dieback, but it's not really put out any new leaves, either. I was wondering if I could put it on my porch this summer so it could get more light. I do this with all my other plants (save for one or two that aren't that wind tolerant) and they like it, but I've heard a few things that make me think african violets need to stay indoors. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet outside?

HI,
I keep all my AV's inside and under flourescent lights. I never put any outside simply because I don't want them to be contaminated by insects or animals.
When was the last time you repotted your AV? If it is over 9 - 12 months it needs to be done. That could solve a few of the growth problems.
Fred in NJ

o

He's right it's better to keep them indoors. Outside three is the possibility of over exposure to th esun which can bleach the leaves. Also, when it rains the leaves again can become damaged or the crown (center) of the plant can rot. And absolutely the insects will get them. I tried once with a few of mine and the came dowm with a bad case of cyclimen mites. Repotting does sound good to me and maybe a little food. Try some fish emulsion my plants love it.
Carrie

o

The bug are gonna prolly eventually get in anyhooz, considering you take yer other plants outside.
Careful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here