Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini african violet is about to die... please help!

Posted by miniafricanviolet WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 20:07

I bought my first african violet and it was in great shape! Now the leaves are turning purple and falling off and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm afraid it will die any day now if I don't do something soon! Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini african violet is about to die... please help!

It's dead ... you likely kept it too wet.

We've all done it ...

African Violets soil should kept, at most, slightly damp.

Too much water in the soil will kill them.

I've had plants survive with little or no water for months, ... but they won't survive too much water.

Get yourself a new plant ... and just give it a little water (enough to dampen the soil) every week or so.

o

Over watered. I don't gold much hope for it personally. Sorry.

o

Also, in the photo, the potting mix looks much too heavy, so therefore it will stay too wet. I currently use the Miracle-Grow African Violet mix and I add perlite to it, two parts mix to one part perlite. That keeps the soil light and it drains well. I don't think your plant can be revived, but there are always more beautiful plants to buy, I hope you have success with the next one.

o

Dear Mini,
Your little violet is now in plant heaven. Along with the others, I agree that it was kept too wet. Your pot is also too big which also contributes to soggy soil. Rule of thumb: pot size should be 1/3 the size of your violet no matter what size pot it came in. And, as Aegis says, we've all been there. Chalk it up to a learning experience and go buy another one. Good luck!

Linda

o

Thank you all! I am thinking about going to buy some new soil today (if my plant is still alive) and I have stopped watering it as often and put some rocks in the bottom for drainage and to increase the humidity. So what do you guys think? Is my poor little violet still salvageable?

o

Toss it. Sorry but it's basically a goner. We all lose plants from time to time.

o

If you feel like experimenting, go ahead and try to save it. You will need a much smaller pot (like a pill cup size) and I don't think rocks are going to help. You need a light soil so your roots don't rot.
After you've re-potted in a smaller pot and better soil, put it in a plastic baggie or under a dome in good light. Let us know how it goes.

Linda

o

Another thought-drainage, per se, is not your problem. Your soil is too heavy. You can have perfect drainage and if your soil is too heavy it holds on to water to the point the roots rot.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here