Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zwaantje_gw

Would anyone know if this is available in the US, and if so...

zwaantje
14 years ago

Where should I look for it?

This is what I am looking for:

An insecticide in the form of small stiff cardboard sticks (app. 1 1/2" long) that are impregnated with an insenticide. You push them in the soil around a plant. The insecticide disolves in the water and is gradually absorbed by the plant. When any sucking insect feeds on the plant the insecticide is being eaten by the insect and - bye bye baby!

I am 99% sure I saw them somewhere on the web, but that was a while ago. Now I would really like to buy them but a. I can't remember where and b. I can't remember the name.

Would anyone know either what the name is or perhaps where to get them?

Thank you so much in advance!

Regards,

Milli

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Milli -

what you are talking about is a systemic insecticide. How it is delivered - I didn't see the sticks yet , I use MARATHON granules I add to the soil. Works for 3 months, you can add it to the top of the soil. It gets absorbed by the roots and goes up the stems and leaves. The concentration is not enough in the buds to kill thrips. Doesn't kill mites.

There are sprayable systemics - Judo, Pylon. Ungodly expensive though.They kill mites and insects.

There is no magic bullet, sorry. No matter if it is on sticks or in a bottle. It is way more practical just try to keep the sucking bugs away from your collection - just as Fred always reminds us - isolate, isolate, isolate.

Spoilsport Irina

• zwaantje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Irina!

Thank you very much for that information. I think I would be very happy to use the Marathon granules.

I haven't added any plants to my collection for about 6 weeks or so, and I believe that the aphids I have occasionally come from insects like flies, or maybe they just come in on their own little space ships ;-)

So far I have had only one plant with aphids that I treated with something from a red spray bottle. It worked very good. I kept the plant separated for 14 days in which time I repeated the treatment 2 or 3 times. After putting it back I kept inspecting all my plants very carefully - and I mean CAREFULLY! - and hadn't any for several weeks. Yesterday I noticed only a few aphids on 2 or 3 plants so I now want to treat all my pants because inspecting them every day becomes pretty time consuming.

I read in an other post that cutting all buds and blooms will deprive any sucking insects from food, and maybe together with the Marathon granules this will keep the plants clean.

I'll look up where to get the granules. And btw, I also have the 'Green Light' Neem concentrate which I haven't used so far but after reading the manual I understand that that works on mites and insects.

I have grown cacti and succulents and I believe there will always be this competition with the unwanted creatures no matter which plants we grow.

Thank you again very much!

Kind regards,
    Milli.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

Before I started using marathon granules (is it Violet Gallery that has the smaller quanities for sale?) - I used what I think you are talking about. They were like the the little jobes fertilizer sticks for houseplants only it also had insecticide in them. I couldn't find those anymore, didn't think they still make them. then one day at Lowes I found some pellets you push down in the soil, they are like a large oval asprin..I think Peters made them. They were in a flat blue foil package about 6" square, and the packages were attached to one of those hanging strips they attach to the shelves. As I'm now using marathon, I haven't been looking for them.

tish

• zwaantje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Tish,

Those sticks with fertilizer are widely availably where I am. Those sticks looked from afar as if they are round and are blue-ish. Those are not the one I was describing. The ones I tried to describe are flat cardboard, they have a shape like the top of a picket fence to make it easy to push them down, white flat cardboard and I must have mistaken the 'Sticky Sticks' with those. Because I cannot find them on the web anymore, anywhere. It was a different country and a different time and it has been a while, so maybe they're not on the market anymore all together.

Anyhoo - I'm almost too afraid to ask - how smal are the 'smaller quantities' you are referring to?

And an other thing just occured to me. If the fertilizer in those fore mentioned sticks doesn't come from urea would it be okay to use them? My guess is that they would give a dose that is way too high for av's or does anyone use them?

Thank you for the information!
    Milli.

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

No, I've never heard of or seen anything cardboard. Sorry.

There is controversy over urea. Some say never use fertilizer made with it and others say it doesn't matter. I know a couple people use those sticks in their violets. I think they break the stick in 1/3rds. I just use a little liquid or powder fertilizer anytime I water except for two weeks that I just use plain water. I use different fertilizers every couple months because they all have different nutrients and trace elements...some have urea, some don't.

Ok, it was Cape Cod Violetry (spelling?) that sells the small amounts marathon, they have a downloadable catalogue, small I mean small enough to be reasonably priced. Someone told me if you phone him and ask, he will sell you a smaller amount.

tish

• zwaantje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much, I'm going to contact them!

Milli.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022