Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long from propagation to flowering?

Posted by tamasine 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 21:33

So,I rooted a violet leaf in water and left it in water until the babies got to the point where I couldn't take the whole leaf out of the bottle without being REALLY careful.

So,I ended up removing the babies too early and I have three rooted in peat moss I guess.Once they get a little bigger,I'll be moving them out of the peat.

They're in a terrarium now,so when should I get an actual pot for the babies or just leave them in there for now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long from propagation to flowering?

HI,
I would move them to a pot when the leaves are about the size of a dime. I use a light mix of 1-1-1 and wick all my plants. The small plantlets I start out in 3oz Solo cups and repot into larger as needed. My minis and semis always stay in the cups.
Fred in NJ

o

I agree with Fred, allow the plantlets to get bigger and develop a stronger root system before moving them. Also, to answer your question about how long to flowering from propagation, I think it depends on the conditions. I just recently rooted a sucker, maybe 5 or 6 weeks ago, and it is blooming, but that is common. From a leaf to blooms? I've had them bloom at a few months. And I have seen photos of little baby plants blooming while still attached to their mama leaf. You just never know@!

Does this website move reeeaaaallllyy slow these days or is it me??

o

I started a bunch of AV from a leaf in solo cups last November '08 and they all started to grow little leaves. They are still living in the solo cups with very tiny leaves and now growing long "air roots" like coming out from their sides. Now what? They are not root bound at all. Please help me on to the next step. donna

o

I think I'm hearing you say that you planted leaves and the leaves did what they are supposed to, they produced new plants. All those leaves you see are several new plants.

These need to be carefully divided, removed from the "mother" leaf, and planted on their own.

Try the following links:
Propagation basics
Rob's Instructions
AVSA Instructions

I haven't yet divided mine, as my plantlets are too small, but I had saved these links so I have some idea of what to do when the time comes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here