Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Cottony looking bugs

lucillle
14 years ago

I got some new streps and all of a sudden they have these cottony bugs on them.

I nuked all my plants with imidacloprid. Hopefully the bugs will go away.

Comments (13)

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Ew, soil mealy bugs!
    Good luck :-)

• carol222
    14 years ago

Hi, Lucille,
    It sounds like mealy bugs, not soil mealy bugs. Click on the link to see if you can figure it out.
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Optimara

• lucillle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at the pix, they are mealy bugs and not soil bugs. Or, they were. Imidacloprid is systemic so that any kind of bug that bites my violets should go to bug heaven.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

HI Lucille,
    Seems to me that you have a case of foliar mealy bugs. The Imacloprid is good as a systemic and will kill any soil mealies but for foliar you have to spray or use a brush with denatured alcohol depending on the infestation.
    If the foliar mealies are on one plant, separate it from the rest and dab each cottony mound with a brush that has been dipped in alcohol. For a heavier infestation, I would spray with a solution of Neem oil. Malathion is also good and will eliminate them however, it is a toxic insecticide and smells whereas Neem oil is a natural product derived from the neem tree and has a minimal odor plus being safe to spray in your home.
    Fred in NJ

• lucillle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Fred. I have to wait until the weekend but I will try the denatured alcohol and maybe get some Neem as a standby.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Does Neem Oil have an expiration date?

Dora

• thominindy
    14 years ago

Hey Dora. botanical.com says the shelf life is 10 to 12 months. Very disappointing. Various sources also said the shelf life can be extended by storing at 40 degrees F.

Thom

• lucillle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

BTW I wanted to thank people who discussed possible solutions rather than merely saying 'Ew'.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Lucille,

"Ew" was a way of empathizing with you....I don't think it was meant to be offensive or rude. At the very least, it gave you a direction to head in for a solution to what you needed to be treating.

I hope you get rid of them easily.

Dora

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

"BTW I wanted to thank people who discussed possible solutions rather than merely saying 'Ew'."

Yikes, sorry.. I didn't mean to offend you.
    I just felt bad for you but thought I'd let someone who knew what they were talking about offer you help & suggestions.. Our group here on GW is pretty friendly & comfortable for the most part, so I didn't think posting an "ew" was outta bounds.. Next time if yer posting, if I don't have the answer I'll just keep my trap shut I guess, eh?

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

I have a bottle of Neem Oil for over two years now and it still works for me. M3. remember a closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

"M3. remember a closed mouth gathers no foot."

Fred your butt is gonna gather my foot next time I see you!! LOL I loooooooove yooooooou!!!!

• fernzilla
    14 years ago

Fred is right about the alchohol. I used to dip a Q-Tip in Alchohol purchased at any drug store on individual mealys. Kills them instantly.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor