• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

nice.

• snappyguy
    13 years ago

Very nice collection!

• raven_ladybug
    13 years ago

Lovely pictures to go with my morning coffee. Thank you for posting them.
    Raven

• abigail1280
    13 years ago

Oh so pretty!

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

oh my gosh, the KERMIT is awesome! i'm new to the AV section of gardenweb, and i just bought an african violet this weekend (i finally caved, i've been waiting on leaves from my step-grandmother for ever!) and seeing the options that there are makes me soooooo jealous. I'm an iris lover and it looks like i may have found my house plant of choice!

but seriously, KERMIT is an AV that i think i will always want/love, lucky you eeeoeleven!

• bleudaysies
    13 years ago

wow! these are gorgeous! thanks for posting!! i just found this forum and i'm soo excited, i have a couple of african violets that just do fantastic. i had no idea though that there were soo many varieties, i want to go googling now! that snow jewel is soo cool! and i guess my main plant that always blooms must be something like a scarlet, it looks very similar. i'm going to have research that more now too!

• contrarymarypat
    13 years ago

what kind of camera do you have? Even using the macro setting, I can't get a good clear close up like the pics you have posted here. Awesome!

Mary

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! Mary, my camera is a Canon Power Shot SD1200IS. It has a very good macro feature, but I took these on auto and it configured the macro itself.

• phoebesviolets
    13 years ago

Your plants are beautiously gorgeous! I don't come here often b/c there are not many pics, and I love the pics.I have a Cannon Powershot A590 IS and cannot get close-ups like that on my manual settings w/macro--or I just have not figured it out yet. Perhaps I've been wasting my time trying, gonna try the auto setting and see what happens.

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

Hi eeeoeleven,
    Your pictures are great, however, I think you need more variety in colors. Most of the blooms are pastel colors and tend to be pinkish. I would luv to see some really bright reds and violets and blues added to your collection.
    Fred in NJ

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Fred,

I have some of those that just aren't blooming yet. I have:

Tomorrow's Royalty - which is bright violet with a deep blue edge and white fringe
    Mellow Magic - Bright Coral with deep blue fantasy splash
    Harmony's Dancing Queen - Deep Lavender with dark purple fantasy and green frilly edge.

As far as reds go... I don't like them much! I've come very close to buying a Tomahawk plant, but I just don't know! Scandal is the closest to a red I've gotten so far!

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Bless you!

I thought I was the holder of the "Most Reds Thrown Out" title!

When I put up the T12 shelf, I put 2 Gro-Lux bulbs in it and suddenly my reds were very red. That seemed like a cheaper solution than buying a lot of not-really-red plants ;-)

I've been considering Pow Wow. I have Vampire's Kiss and Mac's Southern Springtime but Mac's is kind of iffy. It's not red but I have a Holtkamp that is bi-colored fuchsia and white. On a good day, it looks like Rhapsodie Cora and is an attention grabber.

I liked Witch Doctor but it's not really red. I was very enthused about Rob's Love Bite but it stopped growing well for me. There were two of his that did that - Love Bite and Shadow Magic. I started them over from leaves, etc., but it didn't help.

(Of course, I've enjoyed the lovely photos. It looked like I had all pinks, etc., simply because my camera wouldn't do blue right.)

Diana in PA

• GrowHappy
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photos!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH