Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV leaves

Posted by gardenbear1 5a Ma. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 22:28

I have a friend who wants to send me 3 leaves of his Black Pantther av but I don't what to tell him on how to ship them so they won't die. this will be the first time any one has send me av leaves Please help

Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV leaves

Ask your friend to clip the leaves the same day he sends them. The leaves from the third row from the center are best, not too old, not too young, just right.

After clipping the leaves, place them in a ziploc baggy that has the name of the plant written on it. Do not add any water. Some people wrap the ends in damp cotton and then aluminum foil, but I don't find this necessary.

They should be mailed in a box. For three leaves, a VHS cassette mailer is perfect. To keep the baggy from sliding around it can be taped to the inside of the box. Ship it priority mail and you should have it in 2-3 days. If the leaves are a little wilted when they arrive, they can be soaked in warm water for a while to crisp them up again.

One caution is the heat. If you or he is in a heat wave, wait for cooler weather. Also, ship the box on a Monday so it doesn't sit in the post office or on the truck over the weekend.

Enjoy!

Barbara

o

Barbara, thanks so much for info on shipping, I should be getting my cuttings next, they will be shipped out mon. now let see if I can get them to root.

Bear

o

Tell your friend to water the plant the day before so the leaves will be nice and turgid.

When you get them, if they are limp, put them in a bowl of warm water for up to 24 hours. This may make them rigid enough to plant.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here