Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rob's Cool Fruit

Posted by m3rma1d (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 22:47

So tonight at our Violet Club meeting, Barb made me give the presentation on photography...
YIKES! :-o
They all said I did a good presentation, but I don't think I did--It was scary!

I had her bring some of her "bloomies" for me to give the photog. demos with, since I don't really have anything blooming right now. (Well, I have one but it also has two seed pods on it so I didn't wanna take a chance of snapping them off or anything)

So here's her Rob's Cool Fruit that I snapped a great shot of whilst trying to teach people "how to take pics of violets" :-)

I dunno if I ended up actually teaching anyone anything... But at least this pic came out really nice! :-D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rob's Cool Fruit

What fun it was to watch her work her magic!!

Barbara

o

Aw, Barbara yer so nice to me :-)

o

Beautiful plant, beautiful photo. And some of these plants like this one have memorable names.

o

m3rma1d, I agree the pic came out excellent and would very much like to know how you did it. Could you explain here or better, may I have the info in my email? (Please forget it if it's too much to ask for.)

Thank you so much in advance.

Xuan

o

Xuan,

Since I was in the class, I'm going to give you some of the points that I came away with last night.
1. A 'soft light box' is necessary to diffuse the light. You can buy them on e-bay for under 10 bucks, and many come with several different background colors. In a pinch, a large rubbermaid type container can be used, but we did both, and the light diffusion is better with the soft light box.
2. You really need to use a tripod to steady the camera. Just pressing the button will cause it to shake, and the object will probably be blurred, if you try to hold it in your hand.

3. Take multiple shots, and move the light source, move the plant around, don't be afraid to experiment.

4. Now, for the more technical stuff, take it away m3rma1d!

Barbara

o

"Could you explain here or better, may I have the info in my email? (Please forget it if it's too much to ask for.)"

Eventually I'd like to make an online tutorial, by using my other camera to photograph my setup step-by-step... It's on my "list of things to do" so who knows when I'll actually get it done :-p

o

Thanks so much, Barb. Your instructions are very clear. Now, I definitely need a tripod!

m3rma1d: I'm a patient learner ('cause I've been a teacher/trainer for 25 years myself LOL). Whenever you're ready.

Xuan

o

Using the self timer on the camera eliminates the shake that it gets when you manually press the shutter release.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here