Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African violets not doing well under lights

Posted by chein001 Calif (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 23:04

I have 3 AV's. Just getting into them. I have a couple areas to try to keep them. One is in an atrium in the house which gets diffused light. So far in there I'm having luck with ferns, spider plants, begonias and a few others. My one AV in there looks ok but the leaves look a bit light green but they are thick and growing proper.
The two in the bathroom under artificial lights is another matter and this is my concern. The leaves are very dark green but they are growing upward. I'm reading that that means they need MORE light. The light is about 14 inches from the plants. Is that too high? Or do I need a different light?? It's a grow light made for house plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African violets not doing well under lights

Artificial lighting can be very tricky. Are you using cfl's or standard florescent tubes?

From my experience grow-lights tend to be short in the blue spectrum and high in the red. Generally people will grow under one grow-light (red) and one cool white or natural daylight (blue/white).

How long are you keeping the lights on? Sometimes it's not a matter of being closer (which can range from 8 inches to 14 inches above the height of the plant), but needing to keep the lights on for 12-14 hrs.

o

You might try moving them a little closer to the light. Sometimes inches can make a difference. I found that using one warm light and one cool light made a difference also. Plants don't need just light, they need the different spectrums in light.

o

I'm only using one flouresent that I got at walmart that just says, grow light. The light is on for 13 hours. So the light spectrum might not be right?
Do they make 12" long bulbs with that spectrum (red/blue) or are they just separate?
right now I put all AV's into the atrium. In there they might only get 11 hours of light. Very diffused in the AM and sun will shine thru a bit brighter for a few hours and then diffuse again once sun goes over.

o

here's a picture of my one violet that is in my atrium. What do you think about the leaves?

o

here is a picture of one that was under lights.

o

here is a picture of one that was under lights.

o

I got the GE gro lights at Walmart when I first started out, but I switched to the one cool, one warm, and I'm seeing better results. As someone pointed out to me, the Gro ones from Walmart are also for an aquarium. I use two 20 watt bulbs in a 24" fixture.
I bought a flowering standard off of eBay, and when it arrived, it looked more reaching, like your bottom picture. I didn't put it under my lights but in a filtered east window, and it has since relaxed it's leaves and is very happy. Sometimes we want AVs as pretty decorations in different parts of the house, but for them to be happy, they really do need proper light, enough of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here