Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basilio_gw

Help!! Plant wilted but sprouting again...

basilio
11 years ago

My African violet means a lot to me, so since I was going abroad for a month, I left it in the care of my girlfriend.

Since I they're both in Taiwan right now (I am currently back in Canada), the temperatures there are around 30~35C (86 ~ 95F) and it is quite humid outside.

Due to a misunderstanding, my girlfriend left my African violet out on the balcony in the immense heat for about four, five days, and when she checked on it again, all the leaves turned black and it showed signs of wilting.

After I told her to bring it indoors to a room temperature environment (about 25C; 77F), and removed all the blackened leaves from the plants, the it showed signs of recovery. There were a few small leaves that were sprouting from what remained of the plant.

For the past few days though, the edges of the small sprouts started turning a darker shade of brown again, and I can't figure out the reason why.

The plant is currently being watered twice a week, and kept indoors at all times at room temperature.

This plant really means a lot to me, and I really hope it can be nursed back to health...

The picture included is of the sprouts that grew from the remains of the original plant.

Comments (10)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Just off the top of my head perhaps twice a week is two much water. How dry or wet is the soil when it is watered. I only water mine that I don't wick once a week. And sometimes depending on the humidity in the house longer then that.

I hope others can help you. That poor thing looks like it it trying hard to survive.

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I'll tell my girlfriend to keep the number of times of watering the plant down... she said that the soil is somewhat wet when it is being watered.

Taiwan's quite humid, so I'll tell her to water it once a week, and if the soil is still wet when a week is up, I'll tell her to postpone the watering.

All the leaves were blackened when the plant was moved indoors originally, and the new sprouts really brought us hope. I really hope it can pull through, as during the year and a half I had it, it actually grew to be really large with beautiful purple and white flowers... these sprouts are the last of my hopes.

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the way... I just talked to my girlfriend, and she said that she shoveled the blackened leaves into the soil yesterday (without my knowledge...). That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Will this have a negative effect on the plant?

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

This is a tough call. But there are a few definite things that can be addressed. First the plant is being watered too much even at once a week in a high humid environment it can still be too much. Tell your friend to water when the top is dry to the touch instead of trying to use a set schedule. The plant is using much less water because it doesn't have the leaves to support a lot of uptake. As for the blackened leaves going back into the soil, it's generally not advised due to disease. However, in this case with the leaves having died from shock as opposed to disease, it will likely be alright won't hurt anything.

I'd keep a close eye on the plant. If the roots look healthy (mostly white-ish), I'd let the plant go about its merry way. If the roots look brown and dead, I'd take a sharp razor and cut off the top and re-root it in a high-humid place (with temperatures between 20-25'C)

Keep us posted

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ummmm... I just got another photo update.

I told her to stop watering it for now, as the soil is wet. The green sprouts as seen in the previous picture have turned a brown shade...

I'm not sure of the exact condition of the root, but it doesn't look that white to me.

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

:-( I'm afraid it doesn't look good. one last check to see if the crown is alive is to take a finger nail and scratch at the crown just above the soil line. if it's hard and alive-feeling, leave it. If it's brown and soft, the plant should be discarded.

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... well, my girlfriend is now angry at me and would have nothing to do with my African violet... so I won't know the condition of it until I go back to Taiwan next week.

Thank you both for your replies, and I shall update the condition of my African violet when I see it firsthand.

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... well, my girlfriend is now angry at me and would have nothing to do with my African violet... so I won't know the condition of it until I go back to Taiwan next week.

Thank you both for your replies, and I shall update the condition of my African violet when I see it firsthand.

• nyxx
    11 years ago

I wouldn't sacrifice a relationship for the plant. She did what she thought was best for the plant. And when that was the wrong thing to do she tried to fix it. Not everyone would have put the effort into trying to keep it alive. Plants are replaceable. Not all people are. And who knows maybe doing nothing to the plant for a bit will pay off. Good luck.

• basilio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yah... I know... thanks for both the lesson on plant-keeping as well as the lesson on life.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022