Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? on reusing pots

Posted by vall3fam 9 CentralCA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 0:49

I recently repotted a AV I got from HD into a Oyama pot. Unfortunately, it got leaf mealy bugs. It was isolated, so it didn't infect any others and I treated it twice with malathion spray. It now has crown rot and I will probably throw it out rather than spend the time to save it.

Can I reuse the Oyama pot if I run it through the dishwasher? Or can it be reused with some other cleaning method? I hate to throw out a good pot, but don't want to chance infecting another plant.

Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? on reusing pots

An easier way to combat foliar mealies is with alcohol on a Q-Tip. No need to use harsh and dangerous chemicals.

You could try taking one leaf to save that plant.

Nancy

o

Elaine -

if you soak your Oyama in a hot water with 1/3 Clorax and dishwashing soap - I am pretty sure that it will be clean. After that - wipe it with a rubbing alcohol. They cannot take alcohol.

But - the leaf mealies can park their eggs on the shelf, under the shelf, in all kind of nooks and crannies. I would spray the whole area with alcohol.

I agree with Nancy - Malathion is harsh - and it kills the growth point of the violet. And if you take a couple leaves right now, trim them - wash in alcohol, recut - and put for rooting - and send the rest of the plant to the garbage, you will get new happy plantlets and get rid of the pest.

good luck

Irina

o

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I waited too long to take a leaf, as when I looked at it today, all the leaves are mushy. Oh, well, good lesson learned about pesticides, buying plants at HD, and keeping plants isolated. At least I got one of the three right! :)

I've got plenty others to occupy me for now!

Thanks,
Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here