Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sports...or wrong ID

Posted by whitelacey 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 1:46

I have a 'Pink Endive' that I grew from a leaf which has just bloomed. 'Pink Endive' is supposed to be a pink and white double with a green edge. This is a red single. So here's the question: how do you tell if a plant is a sport or if it was misnamed?

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sports...or wrong ID

That's quite a difference.

I'd guess misidentification ...

o

It's bloom is not even close to the description but the foliage is. That's what got me wondering although I think it was mislabeled. I'm waiting to see what the other plants look like as I had put down two leaves.

Linda

o

Linda -

if they all will come the same... it is probably mislabeled. No matter what is the color - it should come up with very wavy frilly leaves and very frilly flowers. Select the most wavy leaved out of your babies and give it a best chance. If mama- leaf is not extremely wavy...it is probably not it.

o

Irina,

Will all the babies from the same leaf show the sporting? (I'm thinking genetics here-the mother leaf would have to transmit the instability for all the babies to sport the same.) Or will it just be the odd individual baby that goes off on its own? And it will just be the color that is affected, not the type of bloom, correct?

Best to your hubby. Is he home?

Linda

o

Not yet. But soon.

Solid color AVs do not sport often. The more colors are in the flowers - the more chances of variations in progeny. The leaves - sport too - but usually it affects the blossoms too. You will get - out of frilly flowers/wavy leaves cultivar = babies with almost plain leaves/flowers - and babies with highly wavy leaves/frilly flowers. "Firebird" does it. Leaves can change from green backs to red backs - if you have the mama with white flower pink eye - you will get babies plain white - with white flowers - and dark leaves - with solid pink. Dean's Kitten does it for me.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here