Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Sports...or wrong ID

Whitelacey
10 years ago

I have a 'Pink Endive' that I grew from a leaf which has just bloomed. 'Pink Endive' is supposed to be a pink and white double with a green edge. This is a red single. So here's the question: how do you tell if a plant is a sport or if it was misnamed?

Linda

Comments (5)

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

That's quite a difference.

I'd guess misidentification ...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's bloom is not even close to the description but the foliage is. That's what got me wondering although I think it was mislabeled. I'm waiting to see what the other plants look like as I had put down two leaves.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Linda -

if they all will come the same... it is probably mislabeled. No matter what is the color - it should come up with very wavy frilly leaves and very frilly flowers. Select the most wavy leaved out of your babies and give it a best chance. If mama- leaf is not extremely wavy...it is probably not it.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina,

Will all the babies from the same leaf show the sporting? (I'm thinking genetics here-the mother leaf would have to transmit the instability for all the babies to sport the same.) Or will it just be the odd individual baby that goes off on its own? And it will just be the color that is affected, not the type of bloom, correct?

Best to your hubby. Is he home?

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Not yet. But soon.

Solid color AVs do not sport often. The more colors are in the flowers - the more chances of variations in progeny. The leaves - sport too - but usually it affects the blossoms too. You will get - out of frilly flowers/wavy leaves cultivar = babies with almost plain leaves/flowers - and babies with highly wavy leaves/frilly flowers. "Firebird" does it. Leaves can change from green backs to red backs - if you have the mama with white flower pink eye - you will get babies plain white - with white flowers - and dark leaves - with solid pink. Dean's Kitten does it for me.

Irina

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!