Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it beneficial to disbud baby plants?

Posted by jonmcdade none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 2:31

Hi all

It's me Jon again.

I'v received a couple of new plants this week. They are healthy looking and also in bloom. Yea!,, But the plants are very small an I wonder if it would be more beneficial to dis bud the plants at this time so to put all their energy into growing? I know some hard core showers practice something similar before a show. Would the plants gain a benefit from this practice?

Also one plant I recieved arrived healthy but with all it's leaves straight up in the air and they won't come down! Do I have to wilt them by with holding water before they will lower again? Or is it a big to to for nothing?
As always your advice is appreciated
Regards Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it beneficial to disbud baby plants?

The benefit to disbudding is that the plant can then use its energy for growth and root development instead of bloom production.

Leaves up in the air is a light issue - Do not withhold water to deliberately wilt. You will do much potential damage to the roots, possibly irreversible. Usually leaves up is a result of too little light, with the leaves reaching for more. It is also possible, and I have experienced it, that it is too much light and the leaves are raised as a protective response to provide some shading for the new growth in the crown. I would let your new plants just adjust to their new environment for a while and see if the leaves relax on their own first.

o
RE: Is it beneficial to disbud baby plants?

I'm all for disbudding after the plants arrive. It's good to make sure the plants are what you purchased, but once you've verified this, I find it's better to remove the buds for the reasons you listed as well as a protection against inviting something like thrips into your home.

Furthermore whenever I order plants via mail-order, they come wrapped up pretty good with the leaves more or less pointing upward. They usually adjust back to normal position after a week or 2 once the plant has gotten situated in its new place without wilting the plant to cause it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here