Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlady4

Red AF

katlady4
15 years ago

I am looking for a true red AF. I have some that are burgandy and they are lovely. However, I would like a true red. Is there any such plant?

Comments (18)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I guess the closest AV that I have ever found to be red is
    Tomahawk or Powwow.
    Fred in NJ

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi,

I would also add Aca's Red Ember and Sedona to the list.

Larry

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

Buffalo Hunt, Omaha Thunder and Optimara Colorado are also nice reds.

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Heartbreak Kid (9928) 03/22/2008 (Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses/P. Sorano)
    Single-semidouble dark maroon-red pansy/white edge.
    Medium green, ovate, quilted. Semiminiature

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Oops, I messed up my link. Here's {{gwi:370020}}

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Egad, there's another one of those crappy pictu-----uh-oh, there went my trip to Fenway tomorrow, boohoo.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Barb...what happened? Why did you say there went my trip? Toni

• barbara_in_la
    15 years ago

I purchased Ma's Crime Scene because I also wanted a true red. It's currently in bud... I'll let you know in a few days!

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"Egad, there's another one of those crappy pictu-----uh-oh, there went my trip to Fenway tomorrow, boohoo."

Lucky for you I speak "Sarcasm" more fluently than regular "English"!!

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"Barb...what happened? Why did you say there went my trip?"

Tomorrow, we're going to Boston and me and my boyfriend are taking Barbara to her very first "in person" Red Sox game at Fenway Park! Wheeeeeeee!!!
    {{gwi:370021}}
    LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Toni,

As m3rmald said, 'sarcasm' reared it's head. I know it is not a crappy picture, it's a gorgeous picture. And yes, I am being treated to a trip to Fenway Park today to watch the baseball game. Yeeeehawwwww!

For those of you that haven't figured it out, m3rmald and I live about 15 miles apart, she is a friend, and she is a member of the one and only AV club in Maine. She and I have shared many leaves and laughs since meeting.

Barbara

• katlady4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions for a red AF. I'll check them out.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Barbara and M3, it's great you two are neighbors AND more importantly, friends. You guys are probably at the game right now; I hope you're having a great time..
    Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks..(S)

Katlady, one way to find special plants/colors is by checking out different AV nurseries.
    Click on pics to see what a certain AV looks like. You'll find a huge variety of flower and foliage colors, shapes, etc. Write down (on paper) each violet name that interests you.
    After choosing an AV, compare the pic from one nursery to a second and third. Looks can be deceiving. Believe me. In other words, say I'm seeking a yellow flowered violet. I find 'X' on one site, then check 'X' on another. The second pic may not look as yellow as the first.
    Phoning is another way finding information. The owners are wonderful, patient people. Ask their opinion, in your case, for the reddest AV available. I found these people very honest. (don't know if they're the owners)
    Are you looking for a light or dark red?

Here are 4 nurseries I've recently purchased violets:

Rob's Violets.. robsviolet.com

Violet Gallery.. violetgallery.com

Lyndon Lyone.. lyndonlyon.com

Brennan's Orchids.. brennansorchids.com

Good luck in your search. I hope you find a red violet. Are you looking for a certain size? Large, Standard, Mini. Trailing.
    Going through each site, each plant, takes time, so it's best searching when you're relaxed, don't have to make dinner, clean the house, or go somewhere.
    It took me 3 hours plus checking each plant. At the time, I didn't know what a Large Av was, but the wonderful people here on GW explained.
    Even though it's time-consuming, it's also fun viewing each variety. I loved it!!! LOL
    Again, good luck, Toni

PS..What does AF stand for?

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

"PS..What does AF stand for?"

For some reason, (And I cannot for the life of me figure out why*), alotta people shorten African Violet to "AF" instead of "AV"

(*I guess they think AFrican violet so they say "AF"? I dunno.. I prefer African Violet = "AV")

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    AF stands for African Fiolet?
    Fred in nj

• larry_b
    15 years ago

rofl

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Fred, ROFL
    Do you grow African Fiolets?
    There should be a survey taken of ppl who type in AF instead of AV..Oddly enough, I've typo'ed AF for AV's time after time.
    Would the plural be, AF's? Read it aloud. Soon AF will be accepted by Webster.

Speaking of which..how do you guys pronounce 'Foliage?' I say... Foh lee ij. Accent on the first syllable.
    More people say, 'Fo lij. Including some guests on TV plant shows, and several movies. Is foliage one of those words that's pronounced different depending where one resides?

Another word is 'often.' In school, we were taught the t was silent, eg: Aw fehn. Nowadays, people say, Awf tuhn.

This morning I went to dictionary.com. The correct pronunciation of foliage has three syllables.
    I was surprised about Often. Dictionary.com stated, the T is heard and accepted.

I do not know how to pronounce words with AE endings. Botanical/latin endings??? Example.
    Aralaceae. Bromeliaceae. Cycadaceae.
    I checked different words with AE endings on dict.com but of course, it (it meaning the computer)doesn't recognize AE ending words.

I hope Katlady spent time looking for red violets. Toni

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    I read in AVSA mag that the breeding of
    reds was just beginning, in a few years, there would be more "true" reds.
    Joanne 47

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 2:44

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor