Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
babies in solo cups. now what??

Posted by donnasaverino 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 8:03

I have many solo cups of babies started from last November. They have lots of ears as you guys describe. Some now have this long hair or root coming from their sides. They dont have many roots so they are not root bound by any means. So when do I put into pots? And what size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: babies in solo cups. now what??

Wait until the leaves are about the size of a dime.
Fred in nj

o
RE: babies in solo cups. now what??

Donna, there are two things to know if there are ready. First, are the leaves on them at least the size of a dime, maybe closer to a nickel? Some people feel dime is fine, others prefer nickel size.

I recently read something that said the following, "shape into better defined clusters.
When one picks up the pot and spreads the clusters it should begin to look like a number of tiny leaves are formed from a single stem. If it does not look that way it is too early to cut them apart because cutting into the mass may result in a gob of soil with more than one plant. In most cases some baby plants are cut through the middle because the individual plants have not yet been well defined."

So, I'd say between these two, you've enough info to decide to split them or not. I imagine that they are plenty large enough simply because of the time frame, but plants are different so this info should help you make the decision.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here