Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just bought my favorite AV color, should I repot it now?

Posted by Begonia2005 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 8:53

I just bought this classic AV, with my favorite ever color - the actual violet! :-)
Trouble is it has such beautiful blooms and more coming...and I read that I should repot asap after buying and ideally I should disbud/cut all flowers when re-potting.
I hate to cut all these flowers off just to repot. Should I Wait until all these flowers are gone? That will probably be a while. Simply cut all flowers off and disbud so that the plant will focus on the move? Any advidce would be highly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just bought my favorite AV color, should I repot it now?

That's a pretty one! Is it really as blue as it looks in the picture or is it more purple?
- I repotted my latest three new AVs the next day (as soon as I could). I figured that I wanted them to get situated with only one shock, instead of putting them through one shock and then another. I guess it could have backfired on me but so far they all seem to be doing well. One of the plants (the most mature looking) has wee flower buds.

~

This plant:

is one I've had for several months. I wanted to repot it and it just about killed me to cut off the flowers, it's my favorite. However, it started growing blooms again very quickly - I think it had its first flower open less than 3 weeks after the repotting.

o

They are probably not 100% the blue you see in this picture, but pretty close to it. These are some of the closest to true royal blue I have seen. This is why I bought it even though I certainly did not need a 6th AV.
In reality, it is a bit more purple than what you see here; but gorgeous overall.

o

What's the name, if you don't mind my asking? I'm a huge fan of blue flowers. One of the new ones I bought (that hasn't bloomed yet) is Ness' Crinkle Blue, a semi-mini. I can't wait to see blooms! (or even bloom stems forming)

Also I just reread your OP, maybe try to not remove the smallest new forming bud? In my experience the AVs take to repotting really well, even when I barerooted them. If your plant seems stressed, you could always remove the bud later.

o

I am not sure I know the name, but it may indeed be Crinkle Blue because I remember looking online for one like this and this is the name I remember seeing. I got it from Pikes Nursery.
I think I will follow your advice and only cut the flowers when I repot it. It is just too heartbreaking to cut all those buds.:-(

o

Should I Wait until all these flowers are gone ?

If you re-pot today with out pinching the flowers off the flowers would still bloom for a short time.

Plants dont focus (lol) they adapt to a new pot, new conditions and soil. Referencing as pot shock during pot shock the flowers would drop and look more dead and then you could pinch them off.
A very crisp and clean looking new plant even I would enjoy the flowering for a day or two but I'm not always the biggest fan of someones potting soil. My normal habit for re-potting, sooner is better than later.

To help the plant use more energy for pot shock recovery flowers would be pinched before re-potting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here