Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Just bought my favorite AV color, should I repot it now?

Begonia2005
11 years ago

I just bought this classic AV, with my favorite ever color - the actual violet! :-)

Trouble is it has such beautiful blooms and more coming...and I read that I should repot asap after buying and ideally I should disbud/cut all flowers when re-potting.

I hate to cut all these flowers off just to repot. Should I Wait until all these flowers are gone? That will probably be a while. Simply cut all flowers off and disbud so that the plant will focus on the move? Any advidce would be highly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

That's a pretty one! Is it really as blue as it looks in the picture or is it more purple?
    - I repotted my latest three new AVs the next day (as soon as I could). I figured that I wanted them to get situated with only one shock, instead of putting them through one shock and then another. I guess it could have backfired on me but so far they all seem to be doing well. One of the plants (the most mature looking) has wee flower buds.

~

This plant:
    {{gwi:370189}}

is one I've had for several months. I wanted to repot it and it just about killed me to cut off the flowers, it's my favorite. However, it started growing blooms again very quickly - I think it had its first flower open less than 3 weeks after the repotting.

• Begonia2005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are probably not 100% the blue you see in this picture, but pretty close to it. These are some of the closest to true royal blue I have seen. This is why I bought it even though I certainly did not need a 6th AV.
    In reality, it is a bit more purple than what you see here; but gorgeous overall.

• aharriedmom
    11 years ago

What's the name, if you don't mind my asking? I'm a huge fan of blue flowers. One of the new ones I bought (that hasn't bloomed yet) is Ness' Crinkle Blue, a semi-mini. I can't wait to see blooms! (or even bloom stems forming)

Also I just reread your OP, maybe try to not remove the smallest new forming bud? In my experience the AVs take to repotting really well, even when I barerooted them. If your plant seems stressed, you could always remove the bud later.

• Begonia2005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure I know the name, but it may indeed be Crinkle Blue because I remember looking online for one like this and this is the name I remember seeing. I got it from Pikes Nursery.
    I think I will follow your advice and only cut the flowers when I repot it. It is just too heartbreaking to cut all those buds.:-(

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Should I Wait until all these flowers are gone ?

If you re-pot today with out pinching the flowers off the flowers would still bloom for a short time.

Plants dont focus (lol) they adapt to a new pot, new conditions and soil. Referencing as pot shock during pot shock the flowers would drop and look more dead and then you could pinch them off.
    A very crisp and clean looking new plant even I would enjoy the flowering for a day or two but I'm not always the biggest fan of someones potting soil. My normal habit for re-potting, sooner is better than later.

To help the plant use more energy for pot shock recovery flowers would be pinched before re-potting.