Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

Beware of Chloramines (in your water) ...

aegis1000
10 years ago

Hello all ...

For 2013, I was well into my replacement plan for my Mite devastated 2012 AV collection, ... and seemingly doing quite well, ... when I noticed that SOME of my violets were developing brown spots on their leaves. And ... I had one plant whose older leaves turned quite yellow ...

The spotting/discoloration generally occurred on the older leaves first and then migrate in toward the crown.

If it had just been a spotting issue I wouldn't have been unduly disturbed, ... but these brown spotted leaves would eventually soften and would, ultimately, have to be removed from the plants.

Again, no big deal, except that this was occurring so rapidly that some of my plants were in danger of whittling down to nothing. (in fact, I did lose a couple favorites ...).

I had no clue as to what might be going on ... until I did some research on google (and here at Gardenweb).

It seems that there is a "newer" purification chemical (chloramine) being used by many municipal water suppliers ... which can cause this problem with African Violets. I checked ... and my water provider does use it.

So, I've switched to getting my water (for my AV's) from the grocery. It's not as convenient (and more expensive), but worth it to salvage my susceptible plants (I've still got a few that are on the edge, but they hopefully will get better soon).

Anyway, just a shout-out ... to any other unaware AV growers.

I know that this has been discussed here on the forum before, but newer growers may be as in the dark as I was ...

P. S. - Including a photo of an 'unaffected plant' (Heaven's Reflection) ... as a reward for reading this long, but hopefully, informative posting.

Happy growing all ...

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Toni,
    Chlorine and chloramine are two different chemicals, (not minerals). As Irina says, if you are concerned about chlorine in your water, letting it sit will remove (or reduce) the chlorine. I read somewhere that chlorine will evaporate from exposed water in about a half-hour. Chloramine does not evaporate so letting the water sit will not help this problem.
    When I checked the water I searched Hxxx County Water and it took me where I needed to go. Easier than dealing with government employees. Or the extension agents as I recently found out.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Is anyone having problems with GW today? Thanks, Toni

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni -

here what I found - so I am thinking adding sodium to the water probably not good.

Anti-Chlor Concentrate: A sodium bisulfite compound used to neutralize residual chlorine when removing color with hypochlorite bleach. Good ventilation is necessary as is the use of a respirator with Acid Gas cartridges while it is in powder form.

Phillip uses Prime. May be it is a way to go.

My gesneriads and my AVs are waiting for my other concerns to resolve. My husband had an open heart surgery last Thursday - and he is the most valuable item in my collection, the rest can be replaced, he - cannot.

Irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Irina,

The best to your DH.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Hopeful:

yes. I also notice you are in Illinois, where they let the dead people in graveyards vote. [old political joke, sorry. No reflection on you]

Start a crusade. Write a letter to the editor about the local bozos, and the treatment you received.

A) your paper will love you. They are always seeking REAL letters to the editor.

B) you may find some sympathetic folks who will join your cause;

C) Someone important may notice, and perhaps we'll see or hear of bozo's heads on a stick ... at the state fair. [our state fair is known as the state-fair-on-a-stick fair, so bad joke there ...]

D) don't give up. Take your concern to city hall. Get on the agenda of a council meeting, or a water/utility board meeting. Ask for a couple minutes to talk about your concerns. At the very minimum, it will have to appear in the meeting minutes, they have to publish those, and you have begun a paper trail ... Don't give up!

˘_˘ --~

dave

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

Irina ,

First off , my thoughts are with your husband for a speedy recovery .

I use Prime because , though it is more expensive than other water conditioners , a bottle lasts FAR longer . Only a few drops for a gallon of water . I also use it because it does not have Aloe Vera in it which makes it "thick and slimy" such as API's Stress Coat .

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Examples ...

This plant used to be thriving ... with over twice as many leaves.

{{gwi:370211}}

Now it looks like this. I hope I can get it turned around.

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phillip44 ...

Where do you get your Prime ... ?

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Thank you guys for support. It is hard to see your loved one so close to the other side.

In my experience Chloramine damage is reversible. The worse damage happened on variegated leaves, green plant got haloing and bleaching. But as soon as you change the water - the new growth comes right.

irina

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

Aegis- You can purchase Prime at most any pet stores that sells aquarium supplies . If you can not find it locally there is Big Al's Aquarium supplies on-line who has it .

I have been using Big Al's for years .

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Second attempt trying to post on this thread!

Morning,

Phillip, how many containers do you have? lol

Because of space, I place vinegar and water containers behind larger plants..

How do you filter mulm?

Oh Dogwoods are so beautiful! I love both pink and white flowered Dogwoods.

I bet your neighbor is a 'tad' jealous, lol. She probably looks at her tree, then yours, then back to hers and thinks, 'where did I go wrong?' lol

Did you tell her you use aquarium water?

What's Aquarium Talk?

I'm going to attempt sending this to see if it sends.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Okay, first worked. This is a pain. :(

Hi Linda,

Girl, I've been collecting milk and vinegar containers over 20-years. They're all over the house. lol

After I killed 3 plants given to me as gifts, I purchased a few plant books. The authors suggested leaving water out at least 24-hours so chlorine evaporates.
    I did as suggested...thankfully, so far so good.

As far as Chloramine, 'you're right, both are chemicals,' there's nothing I can do. We do what we can for our plants, right?

The county we live in is very large, but it's sad when an inanimate object answers questions humans cannot.
    A little scary too.

Forget city/state employees.

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

I have several 5 gallon buckets with lids to keep my water in that I store in my basement . All my buckets are used for my aquariums . If the wife uses one to mop (or add soap to it for other cleaning projects) it becomes hers . Soap clings to the sides and I do not take any chances with my fish by adding soap into their tanks .

I use a clean cloth to filter the mulm .

We both have pink Dogwoods . And yes I told her I use aquarium water and offered to bring her all she wanted .

Aquarium talk ? LOL took me a minute (wooosh , right over my head) . As an example when we add ferts to houseplants , we call it "feeding" our plants . When adding ferts to our aquariums for aquatic plants we call it "dosing" . Make sense ?

This post was edited by Phillip44 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:09

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I'm sorry for writing individual posts, but for days I've tried replying to this post only to get Page Cannot Be Displayed.

Irina. I'm sorry about your husband. I'll say a prayer he recouperates fast and no future problems.
    Yes, your husband is your Number 1 priority.

Mind if I ask if he's still in the hospital? or home?

You take care of your man.. You're SO right, plants can be replaced. Our loves ones cannot.

Take care of yourself, too. Don't wear yourself out. I'm certain you'll do your best.

Hugs, Toni

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

Our City Hall is about as large as a closet. lol.

Good idea writing to the paper. There's an Opinion Column....might be a good start.

As for most who live here...the majority are without plants..outdoor gardens, yep, but very few people have house plants, and to be honest, most wouldn't give a hoot how much Chlorine or other additives are in our water.
    I read these columns weekly, and never saw a complaint regarding drinking water.

Most people buy bottled water these days.

But, I just might write to the paper. As for the other things you mentioned, well,, I'm a tad shy,
    You are welcome to take my place though. lol

Dave, you really must explain the joke about the dead voting. lol. I thought and re-thought, but couldn't figure it out.
    Of course, there are a zillion IL jokes.
    Thing is, like they say, there is some truth to a joke. As far as IL goes, I believe there's more than 'some' truth.
    I'd love to move, 'years ago,' but there's hubby's job to consider. And he's not getting any younger.

Do you live in IL, too?

Oh, BTW...our mayor passed away about 10-yrs ago. Since, we haven't a new mayor. See what I mean?

As for writing Springfield, they're busy and under-staffed. I doubt they'd take my letter seriously.
    Can you imagine if I wrote, I need this info for my house plants??? !!! lol.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Aegis. Do you think Chloramine is the reason you lost AV leaves?
    You said there were twice as many leaves, now reduced to half.

What happens? Does foliage discolor, soften?

Hopefully, you'll find a solution.

I'm still in love w/your Heaven's Reflections. I don't have much space left, but I'm seriously thinking of finding one.

In the picture, foliage looks long..not round.

Do you mind telling me where you found HR..is it Standard, Mini?

Thanks to everyone here. Toni

PS. Irina. Good luck to you and your husband.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Hubby is still in ICU. Hopefully he will be in his own room in a day or 2. That's amazing how much they can do to save very sick and weak patients now.
    Plants were looking very thirsty this morning - so I turned my sump pump and 40 gallons later - we are in business again. Streptocarpus was quite wilted - I do not keep streps on wicks. Plants are happy - they are getting collected AC water - no chlorine or chloramine - and since normally my water is on alkaline side - they are happy to have it soft for now. For extended period - pure AC or distilled water is not good - but for 2 months in summer - they just love it.

irina

Thank you guys for support.

• aegis1000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina ... Best wishes to you and your husband.

Toni ... I'm hoping that Chloramine is the problem. I know that our water supply does contain it.

The leaves do discolor and soften, starting with the oldest leaves, and working in toward the crown. My plants are looking a bit better. I may not lose as many as I feared.

Heaven's Reflection is a standard. The leaves are a little long. I, frankly, didn't notice.

I got the plant at Jack's on e-bay. He should have it again in the fall.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Toni ... Threaten them with Ben Kinningham or Becky ... we all used to work together with TRN back in the day. They had the springfield bureau and i had the DM bureau.

I am a newspaper guy, so I know you can write a letter.

Not everyone uses bottled water. Here we have RO water but the other carp they put in the system is tough on plants, and tougher for those of us that do aquariums, etc.

If I want an aquarium, I use rain barrel water, or the big 5 gal drinking water refill things, but who knows where THEY get their water.

You might be able to convince your local master gardener group. They could put on a workshop ...

Endless are the possibilities.

dave

PS: Irina, thots and prayers w/ U & yours.

• daniel.edmondson
    10 years ago

Your right about Chloramine. It takes up to two weeks to evaporate out of your water. that is why city's are using it to treat their water supplies . Not only does it treat the water put it continues to work inside their pipes. I use Kent Marine Pro- Ammonia Detox , picked it up for $8.00 takes .50 ml to treat a gal.of city water. I have not had problem since i started using it about 8 month ago. It neutralizes Ammonia,Chlorine and Chloramines

I think I picked up on line at Petco.com

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Irina...it is amazing what can be done, 'medically speaking,' these days.
    Thank God your husband will, hopefully,' be placed in a regular room. That in itself prooves he's getting better.

What do you mean you used sump pump water? WHAT? lol.
    We have two sump pumps, 'for flooding,' but how is water removed from the sump pump? Maybe we're talking two different things.

Why are you happy your water is alkaline? Please explain when you have time.

Aegis. It's great your plants are looking better....
    One thing about plants, they sure keep us on our toes. :)

Continue doing what you're doing...I want to see/hear you say your AV's and any other plants you may have are doing fantastic.

I'm sure you've ruled out other problems..besides water. Reason I'm asking. In 2009, I came here to AV Forum.. learned much about violets.
    Before coming here, I never knew AV's could suffer from this and that. Never even heard of soil mealy!
    I sure didn't know what to do when a violet grew leggy.
    But, the helpful people here, like Irina and Fred were patient and helped me care for my violets as needed.

I'll check Jack's around autumn. Although it's like autumn now..60F in Aug....Unheard of! Too darn depressing.

However, you're probably a violet pro.

Dave...Yes, I can write a letter or ten. Result, will anybody care?
    Believe me, the complaint dept 'via local newpaper' is stacked with letters.. Very few complaints are ever resolved.
    The city has numerous problems, but lacking funds, 'o so they say,' therefore, nothing gets done.
    Ex. Our sewer system, streets...
    Ironically, the city recently decided designated parking was needed. (Not) They found $ to post signs throughout the entire town.
    Signs certainly aren't free of charge, nor is installing.
    They're considering closing the Public Library to boot.
    Again, they vow it's a money issue.

Rain barrel water. Works great if it rains. lol.
    What would you do in winter?
    I've tried collecting snow. Heavy as heck...ended up with 1" of water. lol.

I know people who have rain barrels, but the area they live gets quite a bit of rain.
    Still, one person in particular has close to 200 plants..He runs out of rain water before all plants get a drink.
    But, honestly, I too considered buying a rain bucket.
    They're sold at Home Depot.

I sometimes collect rain in large pots w/o drainage. One problem: water attracts mosquitoes.
    Is water with mosquitos and their 'poop' lol safe for our plants?

Local Gardener Group. I'd love joining a garden group. Problem is, there aren't any groups nearby.
    There is a garden club about 30 miles north, but the drive is way too far.
    There is a second group about 15 miles west who deal with outdoor, garden plants.. I'm not interested.
    I'd love to find a grop who works with tropicals and succulents..unfortunately, none exist..

As I said earlier, most local people have no interest in house plants.
    Few neighbors who buy plants..'ferns, Azaleas, palms,' end up tossing in autumn.

I have a lot to ponder.

Thanks, Toni

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni -

sump pump - it is just a type of the pump = submersible pump - which sits in a 33 gallon trash can that collects water from an air condition unit. When it is very hot - it fills in 3 days. Even with our very dry air.

The water is alkaline - because a lot of it comes from the deep wells and the aquifer is in limestone. They mix it with water that comes from Rocky Mountains snow run-off, but is still on a hard side and Ph is about 8.

It doesn't make too much sense to me to collect a rain water - because we just do not get too much rain in summer. Most of our water comes as snow in late winter and early spring.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Irina, oh, I see.
    I'm thinking, um, sump pumps..like those in our basement that's supposed to stop flooding. lol.

My point exactly, regarding rain water.
    Rain barrels work great in areas that get a lot of rain, but forget dry regions.
    We don't get half the rain we used to, and forget snow.

We finally bought an a/c but only turn it on when temps are 99F and higher. July and Aug has been in the 60's-70's.

Irina, we do what works for us. I've been using room-temp, tap water over 20-yrs, and don't have problems.
    If problems occur, it's my fault. Can't blame the water. :)

Have a good day...hugs, Toni

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

rain barrels are wonderful

Get a cheap plastic rubberneck or rubbermaid 55 gallon plastic one. $12 - $15 bucks.

Put it under the downspout of your rain gutter.

1/10 inch of rain will fill the critter.

Speaking of critters, worried about mosqueechos?

buy a couple feeder goldfish at the pet store (the kind they say can be fed to larger fish or other animals)

Place in the rain barrel. They'll keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Don't worry about bringing them in for the winter. By the time you remember you had them in there, it will be too late.

They were gonna be food for something anyway ... but I digress into one of the dark recesses of [in]humanity ...

All: give your loved ones a hug today ... and tomorrow ...

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Does anyone know of a way to collect water from a dehumidifier? Mine just empties directly into the basement sewer. Has anyone tried using dehum water?

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Dave, shame, shame. lol. Foget the fish in winter? lol. I couldn't do that.
    One reason we don't have carnivorous pets.

It's funny you mentioned Sealtest containers. But what height are you referring to?
    Our rain gutter has a pipe that nears the ground.
    The container couldn't be any taller than 5".
    Believe me, I thought about buying a generic version of Sealtest at Walmart.. Last time I checked they were 2.99.
    But I can't figure a way to place under the pipe.
    Of course, if it collects 1". the shallow containers would work, but what would I do w/1" of water? I have 350-400 plants. :)

Dave...Of course it's important to give our loved ones a hug, but you sound upset about something. Hope everything is okay.

Linda, sorry..don't have an answer. We us humidifers, not de's. Sorry Toni

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Linda: we use dehumidifier water and AC water (on outdoor stuff)

Toni: Not upset. *he said upsetedly*

We tend to take things for granted in this day/age, 'tis all.

˘.˘

dave

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Are we talking Mr. Paul Fine?

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

cut the downspout with a hacksaw above the rainbarrel, and then put the 45 degree angle thing on that so it flows into the trash can/rain barrel thingie (oh, so technical am I)

unless I misunderstood your misunderstanding ... *grin*

which is totally misunderstandable

dave

This post was edited by bragu on Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 9:42

• blondiejan
    10 years ago

Or you can do as I did during a good rain this summer (one of our few).....hold an umbrella over your head and put the bucket mostly on it's side to collect water. Dump as necessary into a larger bucket. Voila!

• blondiejan
    10 years ago

Or you can do as I did during a good rain this summer (one of our few).....hold an umbrella over your head and put the bucket mostly on it's side to collect water. Dump as necessary into a larger bucket. Voila!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

me must have misunderstood...my mistake.

Many great suggestions collecting rain water.

Blondie. My neighbors already think I'm nutso. Gardening outdoors when temps are in the high 90's,, while they sit in their a/c'd homes and drive in their a/c'd cars.
    If they saw me standing in the rain, holding a tilted umbrella, aiming rain in a bucket................................lol
    Toni

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Toni,

My neighbors think I'm crazy as well. I never use air conditioning no matter how hot it gets. (Not bad this year, last year it was 110 for most of July). I wait all winter for open windows, summer breezes and birds singing and I will not be cooped-up in a closed-in, stuffy house. It's funny though- they all seem to make their way to my house when they have plant questions...

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

You ladies are very healthy to do such things and you will live to be 120 - while your pampered neighbors will all be gone. And you are still young!!!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I am convinced that is why children today have so many allergies. Their immune systems were never exposed to the elements so that they could build a resistance. Although my daughter has terrible pet allergies and she was exposed to everything while growing up so my theory falls apart at this point...

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Hmm -

looks like the amount of herbicides, pesticides......hormones....antibiotics .. in everything we touch, eat, drink, breath and wear is so high - that our bodies are so over sensitized - that we we can actually die from a cat hair or a peanut. Probably open windows or closed windows are not going to change it. The population of the Earth is so large - that we will starve if we try to grow food organically. And the life is so intense - we just do not have time to bake our own bread or raise chickens in our back yard. So we buy some kind of Wonder bread for our kids with ingredients that mostly do not belong to the food category.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning All,

Linda..My sentiments exactly. Who wants to be confined, breath the same, stale air?
    I love the sounds of rain drops, wind, T-storms, chirping birds and crickets.
    Years ago, back when children played outside, 'before they remained behind locked bedroom doors, playing with electronic devices,' they were so, very happy. Laughter, and imagination.

Oh yes, last summer was a hot one.

What many seem to forget, people lived without a/c and 'managed' to survive.
    Those old, heavy, hazardous metal fans did the job. Fans and opened windows.

Linda, Do your neighbors actually enter your non-a/c house to ask plant questions? How courageous!

PS. I bet the electric company detests cool summers.

Irina. I take it you're an a/c girl?? :)
    120! lol.
    Linda and I, age 120, gardening outside, while temps are nearing 150.

Linda...how bad are your daughters allergies?
    I'm allergic to dog and cat fur, bird feathers, and a zillion other substances.
    Yet, we have a dog, birds, and had a cat, 17-yrs, until he went to kitty heaven a few years ago.

I do not take allergy medication though.
    Ironically, I'm allergic to most antihistamines.

It's strange how many children, these days, have milk and peanut allegies. Something is definately wrong.

Irina... Right you are! What happened to 'genuine' food without drugs and insecticides, etc?

I rarely eat meat these days. I've been cooking since 17-yrs of age. Long ago.
    What happened to lean meat?
    Nowadays, beef and chicken is mostly fat. Thanks to steroids.
    Fruit is never ripe. It's as hard as a rock. A few days later, it's moldy. What's with that?

And all the recalls! Once a month I go to FDA site. You wouldn't believe the number of foods, (and other products) that are recalled for one reason or another.
    Out of all serious issues, finding pieces of glass in food is the worse.

Even our pets are in danger. It's disgusting.

Lately, we look for food and products made in US.
    Yes, it's a little higher in cost,, but hopefully safer.
    Besides, US is in debt. We need balance.

I'll say one thing. I respect and give credit to the Amish. Toni

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Toni -

I am not used to high heat. But we sleep with open windows and AC off -Denver is great place - night temperature is Organic food is much tastier -but comes at a steep price that's why we call this store "Whole Paycheck Foods".

Yes - it is possible to raise your own chickens, grow your own tomatoes - yum - and pump your own water from the well. That's how most of the people lived 100 years ago - and they raised enough to sell good food in towns,. But that's the only thing they did. working from sunup to sundown. No AVs - only pumpkins. Good stuff is very labor intensive - Amish way - they do work long hours and do not take vacations in Europe and cruises.

The sad part - we want everything - both pre-industrial food - and modern amenities. We do not want to use outhouse anymore...

And as usual...comes at a price...The good part - think about dentistry 100 yers ago...

I.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Toni,

They don't come in the house because I am usually in the yard. And I agree about the fruit. I would love to have a tree-ripened peach.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Irina. 70F night temps would be fine, But 55 in July and Aug?
    My dh calls me a reptile, lol. I wear winter pj's at night.
    Low blood or no blood..

I agree..thing that bothers me..how do we know food is truly organic?
    Our grocery store, Jewel, has an organic aisle. Heck, they even sell organic paper towels and toilet paper. lol.
    As for food..because a sticker reads, 'grown organically' on a green pepper, how do we know it's true?

Those who have gardens can grow veggies..from seed.

Our neighbor grows various peppers, tomatoes, etc, then jars for winter. She works full time, volunteers at a kitty shelter, yet still manages to garden.
    She's in her 60's, and lost her dh two-years ago.

We're all spoiled, 'myself included,' take modern technology , such as plumbing, tv, phones, electric, gas heat, toilets, baths/showers, radio, and COMPUTERS for granted.

But, 100-150-yrs-ago, people didn't know about such things, so they really didn't feel they were missing out on conveniences that were not yet invented.

Life would be dreadful going back, 'after' having everything at hand. Can you imagine starting from scratch? lol

Irina, there are 100+ year old Christmas Cactus floating around.
    Not many, but there are people, 'on another forum' who were given CC that were started from great-great-great grandparent/s. Original Christmas Cactus, not Thanksgiving Cactus sold today called Christmas Cactus.

Yes, Amish are hard workers..An Amish teen sure can't lie around watching tv or chatting online. lol.
    As far as vacations and cruises, I've never been on a cruise, nor do I plan on one. Heck, I've never been outside of US.
    Our vacations consisted of going to Springfield for dh's job, and Ft. Benning GA when ds graduated from Boot Camp. 'Army.'
    Two funerals in TN. But, that's not vacation. :)

I'm fairly house-bound, so we never go anywhere.
    However, I do enjoy modern tech. To a point though. Nowadays, everything is computers or computer-related.
    It's almost impossible having a tv w/o spending money for cable.

Have you noticed appliences don't last as long these days?
    In the last 15-yrs, we've been through 4 fridges, 3 stoves, 3 washing machines, and 3 dryers.

My parents were married in the 50's. They bought a fridge, 'General Electric,' when they married.
    I was given the fridge in the 80's. It worked fantastic.
    When we moved out of an appt, I had to leave it. I'd bet it still works. lol.

In my case, I miss the days people sat on their front porch without fearing they'd be shot.
    Kids played outside, w/o parents worrying their children would be kidnapped.
    Holidays weren't as commercial as they are now.
    'Most' people were trust-worthy, moral attitudes.
    When a handshake meant more than a contract.

Definately not 100 yrs ago, but a time of innocence. For the average person anyway.

However, I too am guilty. To live w/o a shower, toilet, tv and computer would be boring. :)

Linda..you know there are peach trees hardy to cold climiates?
    If it wasn't for a stupid maple we have out back, I'd have planted pears, peaches or plum trees.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

No plum trees, no apples and no cherries. It will all grow real well -but SQUIRRELS WILL EAT THEM ALL.

In the age of innocence- the woman in her 50s was considered OLD - and ready to croak. Nowdays - it is new 30s. I really think it is grand.

56 and young ;-))

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Irina,

Squirrels are a problem...so are birds.
    I had a grape vine...after 3 attemps, the vines took, grew and produced fruit.
    Problem was..we never ate-a-one. The birds helped themselves to 90%. I love birds, but don't want to eat fruit that has poop. lol
    After 4-yrs, I dug out the grape vine, and replaced with Trumpet Vine. What a mistake!
    I'd much rather have grape that will nourish the birds than a vine that grows everywhere..Although TV flowers are pretty, attract bees, and hummers, the con side, besides being invasive, blooms attract flies & ants.

People were considered old at 50 because they didn't live as long.
    Over time, we've changed..We not only live longer, but we're much taller. lol

Irina, so you're saying people in their 50's are more like 30?
    Too bad dog years haven't changed, too. lol. Toni

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Some of us are not much taller... ;)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

LOL, so true..Plus, the majority isn't 6'8 like basketball players either. :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Toni:

years ago, there was this big push to register voters. get out the vote.

there were folks that went to illinois graveyards to harvest names, and get those folks registered to vote. when elections rolled around, these folks would make it to the polls to cast ballots. It was a minor scandal by todays standards.

but that's where dead people voting comes from.
    Ain't no zombies here ...

˘.˘ --~

dave

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

I did a little research, asked questions, and got what you mean. Oh yes!

Not my kind of town, Chicago isn't!

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Irina, Linda
    Found suggestions on water here.
    Friend of mine has been trying to get chloramine
    out of the water for years. She formed a group to
    do this.
    joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

The problem is not that much with chloramine - the problem is with amount of it. The minuscule amount of it is not going to do much harm... but when they were just starting using it...the lawn grass turned dead...

• Karin
    10 years ago

Great, I just found out that, whilst Toronto doesn't list chloramines in their water reports, they do state that they add ammonia to previously chlorinated water before it goes into distribution - which creates chloramines. (sorry if someone has mentioned this before - i did not read all 57 previous replies...)
    now i have to add water purifier to my list of things to buy...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Karin
    One year later update. The ammonia neutralizer I got at Petco ruined many if my plants. It is called Amquel by Kordon. I used the amount indicated on the bottle which was probably four times what was needed. Several plants died from stunted growth . Others took several months to recover and start growing again. Now am back to store bought spring water with no additives.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 16:15

Sponsored
Sport Court of Washington, DC
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Award-Winning Sport Court Specialist, Serving Virginia for 30+ Years