Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beccausa_gw

Trailing African Violets

beccausa
15 years ago

Read in a book recently about Trailing African Violets, does anyone know anything about these violets? The pictures were awesome would love to own one.

Comments (13)

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Yes, trailing African violets are really cool. I have several of them. The standards can get quite large so I keep my collection to semi miniatures and miniatures. If you're really interested in finding some small trailing violets for yourself, Rob's Violets are a good place to go. He has hybridized several himself and has a few from other hybridizers.

Larry

• violetta1976
    15 years ago

Oh! I have one! I have one! Well, I have two, but I only have a picture of one of them. It's my favorite AV that I own, though! It's Rob's Boolaroo:

{{gwi:370226}}

{{gwi:370227}}

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Violetta,

Very nice!

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Here is one of my tailers. Pixie Blue:

{{gwi:370228}}

• bspofford
    15 years ago

The picture on the first 'page' of this forum is a trailer. Not sure which one, it may be the same as the one on Violet Barn's website that the man is holding. Impressive, to say the least.

Barbara

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Violetta and Larry..both your AV's are gorgous..
    Do you both disbud to get so many flowers? Toni

• violetta1976
    15 years ago

Larry, that's gorgeous!

Toni, I've been terrible about disbudding. I can't keep up with Boolaroo's bloom's, there's just too many of them.

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Thank you Toni and Violetta,

No, I pretty much don't ever disbud. I guess I should, but I can't bring myself to take off pretty blooms. The exception is when I repot. I always disbud to let the plant put energy into the root system.

Larry

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Violetta, I can see what you mean..There are SO many.
    Mind if I ask a question? (S) I believe Rob's violets are all minis, right? What reason would you disbud a mini? By doing so, what does it accomplish? More flowers? Larger leaves? You'll have to excuse me but I'm new to AV's..well, not new, I've always had them, but never followed procedures, proper potting, etc.
    Your Robs, b is gorgous for sure..makes me want to add mini's to my collection..LOL..Thanks, Toni

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Toni - most of Rob's violets are actually semi-minis. If you disbud any plant - it will grow stronger, bushier - and when you stop disbudding - it will reward you with a large head of flowers - so it is usually done before the show. If you want to enjoy your plant and not show it - the reason you may be disbudding - it is a young small plant - and you want it to have a chance to grow first - or if you opened the window in summer, bunch of thrips moved in onto your AV flowers and they are busy chomping the pollen. If you disbud your plants - both flowers and buds should go - you will get rid of 95% of pests at once.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Larry, do you enter plants in shows?

Irina..how big are thrips? Can they fit through a window screen?
    Last night I finished working on all AV's. I discarded all old soil, checked for insects, last added my own mixed/fresh soil in clean pots. (correct sizes) So far nothing..'notta bug.' (S) Thank goodness. Toni

• larry_b
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

No, I don't enter plants in shows. That's a level above where I'm willing to make the effort. Growing plants for show is a lot of work and one has to be meticulous in grooming them. I just grow them for my own enjoyment.

Larry

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Toni - thrips are 2 mm long - adults. Under 1/20 of an inch. And they go through the window screens with a smile.

Irina

Sponsored