Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about planting AV's in cups

Posted by dirtygardener73 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 9:51

A friend gave me some really pretty teacups, and suggested I plant my mini AV's in them. Of course, they don't have holes, I have a Dremel, so I suppose I could drill holes, but these cups don't have saucers, so I'd be stuck putting trays under them, which I don't want to do.

Is there any other way to do this? I have heard about filling the bottom half of the cup with perlite? Has anyone done this, and can you tell me how it is done?

Thanks! These are such cute little cups. I'd love to use them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about planting AV's in cups

You can put gravel (rince it first) or perlite in the bottom, about an inch or so. Then place the violet and spread the soil.

Nancy

o

Another thought is to plant your AVs into tiny cups/pots and use the teacup as a decorative cover.

You can also buy some teacup inserts made for AVs. They are often available on eBay. The plant goes in the insert, which is put into a tea cup containing water/fertilizer. It acts like a self-watering pot.

o

Thanks. I'll try the perlite while I'm looking for the inserts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here