Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

looks like rot?

beth7happy
10 years ago

Some months back I posted about repotting my little fuzzy leafed friends. Y'all gave me great info and all have been doing quite well since then. (No blooms, but I guess that's to be expected after repotting!).
The new scenerio is that I've started a once-a-week watering regimen and sometimes with AV fertilizer. This morning I've noticed that one of the plants - probably the largest, seems to have perhaps some rot? One of the leaves was totally wet and all sagged...I clipped it off, but noticed that some of the other leaves look too wet at the base, too. There is, however, some nice new growth low, but right in the center of the plant. And I poked my finger into the soil...it's dry all the way down - just from one week. Suggestions??? Is once a week too much for water? Not enough??

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Beth,

Everyone tends to their plants in different fashions, but there's one thing, I believe, most agree.

Watering should not be done by a schedule.

Since over-watering is the #1 plant killer, proper watering is most important.

Beth, are you new growing violets? Plants in general?

We've all lost plants at one time or another.

I'm not a professional AV grower, but do okay. There's quite a few AV pro's here though, that will hopefully chime in.

As I said above, people tend to their plants differently.
    I allow soil/medium to dry between waterings. In other words, soil does not stay wet for prolonged periods.

I bottom-water AV's, 'unlike other plant types,' except when fertilizing.
    I check AV soil every few days. 'We don't use a/c so our house gets pretty hot during summer months.'
    If soil is wet, I'll wait a few more days before inspecting.

There's two ways to test. One is by inserting a tooth-pick in soil. If tooth-pick comes out wet/muddy, bottom soil is still moist,, 'even if top looks dry.' That means, a plant shouldn't be given a drink.

Ever bake a cake? If you have, you probably inserted tooth picks in center batter to see if it's done...???
    So, testing soil w/a tooth pick, is similiar to baking a cake. lol.

Second is by lifting a plant..When a plant is watered, it will be heavier in weight. When soil is dry, the pot feels light.

Happen to have a photo of your AV?

Beth, don't know if this will work with violets.
    I grow various plant varieties including succulents.
    One succulent started rotting. I was told to sprinkle Cinnamon on the rotted area. It worked!

Good luck...Toni

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Beth -

Toni gave you some good suggestions on how to check if the plant needs water.

Sticking to once a week ... in summer you probably need to water more often - and in winter less. It is all variable. Do not water until it is getting on a dry side, but if you wait for too long - your rootball will dry so bad - that it will be hard to make it absorb water again.

What is going on now - if you post the pic of your problem area - it would be easier. If the plant looks well hydrated - but some of the leaves become kind of glassy transparent looking - it is a bacterial blight - and it is usually tied to the heat and too much water - find a cooler spot and keep watering sparingly - more often but smaller portions to keep soil barely humid.

If the rot is dark brown and starts from the stem - you need to cut the crown above and reroot it, take healthy leaves - and pt them down for rooting - cutting the sick stems off to the healthy tissue.

i.

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I've over watered. We are in Florida - it's hot outside and we always have the AC running at about 78 (dry) degrees. The soil gets dried out really fast...maybe I need to water less, but more often. I'm going to attempt to add a few pictures ...pardon the dirt on the leaves....it got there when I repotted and I know you're not supposed to run water on them. Toni and I ...thanks so much for your input. I have a yard full of great flowers/plants OUTside, but trying to raise things inside the house is a huge challenge for me, as you can tell!

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

same plant, another view

• beth7happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it looks good from this view!!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Beth,
    (As I stand on my soapbox yet again), You can run water on African violet leaves!!! Think about it-do they get water on their leaves in the wild? Of course they do!!! What they do not get is COLD water!!! In short-you can wash your violet but do not get cold water on the leaves as they will spot. Most growers routinely wash their violet's leaves, (myself included). Just be careful not to place them in the sun or under lights until they are dry. Leaves have pores, (stomata) by which they do an air exchange as well as a process called transpiration. Washing the dust and debris cleans the leaves and allows the stomata to do their job more effectively. This aids in growth and blooming. (Climbing down from my soapbox). Here is a good video that I believe is from one of our members here.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Washing African Violets

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Your plant doesn't look too bad.

If anything, it looks thirsty ...

Once a week may not provide enough water to a good-sized plant like you have.

Do as the other posters say, and check each plant every few days to see if they need water (dry soil).

• irina_co
    10 years ago

So far you are losing old leaves - which are probably tired and ready to go. I would remove old bleached leaves myself and give a plant a good shower and leaching until water runs transparent. Then I will keep it on a stack of newspapers to absorb the extra water.

even pigs like to be washed!

irina

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH