Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of pots?

Posted by starmomma Oklahoma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 10:56

I bought some African Violets and have kept them alive for several months now. I was wondering what is the best kind of pot for them and where I can buy them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of pots?

Starmomma -

we have very good FAQ on this forum. Please - read - and may be they will help you not only keep you plants alive - but make them perform better and better and make you smile every day ;-)).

you want so called azalea plastic pots - the diameter larger then the depth - and you need to select the pot which diameter is 1/3 of the leaf span of your plant.

If you have a good nursery around - they possibly sell something appropriate. Or check on the AVSA.org vendors - and order some. I think Cape Cod Violetry carries whatever necessary.

I personaly do not use the expensive double AV ceramic pots - they are heavy and you need to be really vigilant not to kill plants in them. But some growers are quite successful with them. Another option that works very well - is so called Oyama pots - just be sure that the soil is very light. You can google them and see what they are.

Good luck, happy growing and lots of blooms

Irina

PS check on AVSA.org Affiliates - there are good AV clubs in Oklahoma - may be you would like to see their show and visit their meeting. People are very welcoming and generous with the advice and plants to share with newbies. The last AVSA convention was in Tulsa- and it was fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ - basic care

o

Anyone find these kinds of plastic azalea pots at the big box stores? I look every so often and never see anything like it.

o

I've NEVER seen the kind of supplies that we need as violet enthusiast in big box stores.

If you get in connection with a local society - they probably have supplies for sale. If not, take the extra effort to order supplies from some of the various suppliers mentioned on this forum. it is well worth the effort and expense.

The stuff you pick up at the stores isn't really what I would consider "real" violets....but that's just my VOCD speaking :)

Dora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here