Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Cry - my AV was stolen.

jujujojo_gw
10 years ago

I placed one of my beloved AV's on the front porch next to a street. The plant was not in flower so I think it may be good in outdoor shade.The pot was shiny blue and gold.

It was taken away by someone. I feel so bad. Our world is not perfect.

Comments (17)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Juju...I'm very, very sorry someone stole your AV. That's horrible!

No, our world is NOT perfect and seems to be getting worse. Day by day.

Someone on the 'other forum' decided to place several of her plants outside..a couple days later all were gone. She was devestated.
    Who wouldn't be???

This happened years ago, but a friend had a F. Rubber Tree..Ficus started off as a baby, but grew to the ceiling curving on top.
    In summer she'd haul it in her back yard. You'd think a plant in back, fenced yard, would be safer, more private.

Well, one morning she went outside to give her Ficus a drink of water. The Ficus was gone! She was so proud of her beautiful plant, only to have some assxxxx steal it.

I wish you had a security camera. I think it's coming to that. Soon, everybody will need a camera.

Again, so sorry about your AV.

Juju, in the future, if you have other AV's, there's no need to set outside.
    If your AV wasn't flowering it might have needed more light, fertilizers, etc.
    My AV's don't go outside because I fear rain will mar foliage. Just my opinion.

Toni

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:48

Toni, my porch has "ceiling". So it is a perfect outdoor situation - sheltered from rain and strong sun ... but still very bright. It would be a very bad idea to let rain fall on AVs.

Thank you for your post. I still feel bad, sigh ... I think it takes time to heal.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Juju,

Sorry for your loss BUT your porch "ceiling" cannot protect your AV's from their biggest problem: bugs! Keep your AV's indoors where they will be less susceptible to mites, aphids, mealies, etc., etc., etc.

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by whitelacey 6 (My Page) on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:29

Linda, thank you for your advice. Do the mites of AV come from the wild? Do they breed among grass? I thought they come from infested purchases ...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Juju,

Think this through...where do you think the mites on infested purchases come from? All insects, arachnids, (mites) and other nasties come from outdoors. Mites infest many species of plants most of which are grown outdoors, Did you ever notice one of our problem mites is called "Cyclamen mite"? It also infests cyclamens. Broad mite infests many ornamentals as well as agricultural crops. So, yes, they do come from the wild.
    And they can also hitch a ride indoors on your pets and make a disaster of your violets. So, to be safe, keep your plants inside. Then you only have to worry about the hitch-hiking critters.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I'm afraid to post. When I hit submit, I get, Page Cannot Be Displayed,' and my message disappears. Can't back space either.

Juju...It's normal feeling sad. I would be sad AND angry!

Do you have other AV's? If not, why not treat yourself? Go shopping...especially online shopping..:)

Oh Goodness, insects!
    Mites are contageous. If an outdoor plant has mites, and a house plant happens to be near, 'even 50' away,' the house plant can get mites, too..
    Mites are also brought in when a new plant is purchased..If the new plant has mites or any other insect.

My AV's never had mites, but one year, mealybug struck. I ended up tossing 34 or 37 AV's. Wiped out. I have an idea where mealy originated. I used to order from one particular online nursery. 'Not a violet nursery.'
    The window was perfect for new plants..I should have listened to folks on GardenWatchdog who vowed they found mealy and other pests in their plants.

I agree with Linda about placing violets outdoors.

Do you have a bright window? In summer, violets do not need direct south or west sun. Bright, indirect will do. Winter is different..the brighter the better. Toni

I hope this sends.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by whitelacey 6 (My Page) on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 15:06

Linda, thank you. I will never keep my AVs outside ever again, after this incidence and the knowledge about bugs. I do agree with the effect of indoor isolation.

I do keep some sweet corns, tomatoes, bell peppers and pumpkins outside. So, I guess there is little I can do about them.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the images of the AV's last bloom right before it was taken away.

{{gwi:370416}}

{{gwi:370417}}

{{gwi:370418}}

{{gwi:370419}}

{{gwi:370420}}

{{gwi:370421}}

{{gwi:370422}}

{{gwi:370423}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you know what cultivar it is, or maybe NOID, let me know. Note the purple edge is not a dark purple but a very brightly colored "red".

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Looks maybe like Optimara Susi ...

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by aegis500 Zone5 Indiana (My Page) on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 22:46

I found a website to ID Optimara violets. You are absolutely correct.

One question, why Optimara does not develop more fully doubled AVs?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Optimara hybridizes violets that are easy to grow and tough to kill. Their plants are aimed at the casual grower who may not know all of the ins-and-outs of violet growing. Single blooms are easier to bloom than doubles hence, more appealing to someone who just wants something pretty on their windowsill.

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by whitelacey 6 (My Page) on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 1:12

Linda, thank you for your expert opinion. That is great.

Another question: for double cultivars, sometimes, the petals are not the same size. On the same flower, some petals are significantly larger and some others petals are significantly smaller. The result is that the flower looks untidy. Is there any methods to make double cultivars have symmetric petals? May be temperature, watering ... ? .. or, is this completely uncontrollable in AVs.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Juju,
    If a violet does not have the genetics for the same size flower petals, it will never have them. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any reason growing conditions would affect petal size.
    Do you really think it makes a flower look 'untidy'?

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lindaï¼Â
    By now, I have only 1 tiny leaf surviving for this plant.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Any thoughts on why it declined?

Linda

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by whitelacey 6 (My Page) on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 23:31

I am not 100% sure which "decline" you are referring to. But I need to be very careful when the temperature changes - for example, when I turn off the heating in late spring.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz