Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My hairdresser says...

Posted by krystyna1937 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 11:33

My hairdresser has a window full of av's. Some are gorgeous and today she let me have some leaf cuttings. She told me to be sure to cut the stems at a sharp angle or they would rot. Is there anything to this?
My own follow-up question is: should the stems be planted in the vermiculite so that they don't touch the bottom of the container, or does it not make a difference?
Krys
PS I've been editing My Page - should anyone be interessted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My hairdresser says...

I think it's up to you.

Some folks say to cut at a sharp angle gives more plantlets on each leaf. Others say it'll take up water better. Some I know don't cut at all for fear of contamination or disease. Some let the cut dry before you plant it. I say take a leaf and stick it in some dirt or water and then wait for babies.

I'm not as neurotic as I was when I started. But you should trim it back, so you don't have something crazy like 4 inches of stem under the soil or anything like that - I keep it as close to the surface of the soil as I can - they come up faster that way!! :O)

o

I don't think it makes a difference if it touches the bottom. Be sure the vermiculite is moist and not too wet or the leaf will rot before it can root. Good luck with your leaves. tish

o

Dzen dobry Krystyna,
I have checked your paintings....soo beautiful....
Pleasure for eyes.
And african violets are easy - just do not overwater, that is the most important for beginning.
Good luck,
Alena

o

Czesc Alena!
I'm getting the hang of life with violets.
Thank you for visiting my site.
What part of Poland are you from and when did you leave?
Krys

o

Czesc pani Kristyno,
I am not Polish, my grandma was.
I am from Czechoslovakia, sort of... :-)
I visited Poland many times and had Polish friends. I love it there...
Alena

o

This gets better and better. I was born in Slovakia so I'm fluent in both languages. My family is half Slovak half Polish. But I'm sure people on the Forum aren't interested in any of this. Anyway, I've been an American citizen since 1961. And here we all are talking about violets on the Internet. Our grandmothers would shake their heads in wonder.
Krys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here