Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother Leaf and droopy violets

Posted by abigail1280 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 11:35

I went on vacation for 11 days and I thought my violets would be ok while I was gone. I have them all wick watered. I live on the east coast of NC and it's been 95F+ most days with right around 100% humidity. We left our AC on and came back to find our house at 95F inside. We hired a guy to come in yesterday to fix it all, and he's created more problems for us that what was originally wrong. It's become a nightmare, and though it's actually cooled off some outside and has rained a good deal, it's still anywhere between 85F and 95F in my house. My plants for the most part did ok. One of my peace lilies looked half dead, but after a good watering, it perked back up. My hoyas actually all look better now, lol. They grew quite a bit while I was gone. Most of my African Violets look ok, but some of them have become droopy. Is there anything I can do to help them perk back up? I'm hoping the ac will be fixed today. It's normally 74F in my house, so I have a feeling the heat change is what's affecting them.

Also, I have several leaves with "mouse ears" that all did fine while I was gone, except one. I was kind of concerned about it before I left, but the mother leaf has pretty much shriveled up. The babies still look very healthy. They're not quite the size of a dime. The leaf is Rob's Love Bite. Can I go ahead and remove the mother leaf?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother Leaf and droopy violets

I think you should always remove the mother leaf when it starts to go bad....you don't want rot to spread and take the babies with it.

I don't know if you put some droopy violets in some more humidity would help or not. If they got too hot, they may not recover...I think you will just have to wait it out and see. If the outer leaves remain droopy and it was my plant, I would remove the droopy leaves so the energy goes into the center leaves that might still be good.

tish

o

Hear, hear -

I would try to spray them a bit. If you overwater stressed plants - they can rot. But you can mist them as much as you want - and if the leaf is alive - it will absorb the water from surface. Exactly as Tish mentioned - if the mother leaf is dead and rotting - you need to remove it asap. Even if the plantlets are small, but the leaves are green - they will pull through. Just do not divide them yet.

Cheers

Irina

o

I agree you should remove the mother leaf and be careful not to overwater!

o

Thanks for all of your advice!

I've had a few more mother leaves start to go. Guess they really hated the humidity. But the baby plants all look great. I hardly ever water them. They always feel damp, so I leave them alone.

I do have one leaf that's plantlets are growing on the leaf. How in the world am I supposed to separate them when it comes time? Should I just completely bury the mother leaf with just the babies sticking up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here