Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perle_de_or

Very Odd looking Crown

perle_de_or
11 years ago

Hi all, I am hoping someone might have some idea of the type of violet this is. I have never seen a crown that looks like this at all. A friend gave it to me, it is very healthy and she got it at HD. To me, the growth habit looks very odd.

Thanks,

Perle

Comments (10)

• suecirish
    11 years ago

To me, it looks like it has not had enough light at all. The leaves are all reaching and growing upwards toward whatever light source there was. You could try placing it in an appropriate light setting and it might relax some.

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

I agree, it definitely looks like too little light.

• jonmcdade
    11 years ago

I was watching this post because two weeks ago I received Sketch Artist (a Chimera) from an ebay vender...(is that a bad word here?)
    Anyway its growing habit looks exactly like your picture. After two weeks of of light under an opaque skylight the plant was still reaching up and hadnt relaxed at all. (The rest of the av's look great)
    So I read somewhere....(here?) to place a penny on each leaf end to help the petiole relax. I did this just yesterday and it has made a wonderful difference. One of the leaves was soo stiff that it actually needed a heavy quarter. I dont know how long to leave the coins on for but I'll keep checking to see if they behave when I take them off in a day or so.

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats a really unique idea. I tried gently pressing them. I wondered if maybe it is a trailing variety, and someone told me that might be what it is. Can't wait to see if it blooms.

• calshaye
    11 years ago

I have seen information about this similar problem and it was suggested to put paper plates on top for a few days and watch progress to determine when to take it off. I saw some photos of this and it was amazing how quickly it worked!

• jonmcdade
    11 years ago

LOL Paper plates is much to simple a solution. I had to make it hard by putting pennies on each leaf and trying to balance them so they would fall off. Rotfl.....
    O.k. so off with the pennies today and if need be.... a paper plate.... Thank you for that simple solution....
    still laughing.........

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the tip, it sounds easy and I will try it.

• calshaye
    11 years ago

No problem I hope it works for you, it has for me. If I need something a little heavier I use cool whip top and if I need smaller I use the top of sm. butter container. It does seem to simply of a solution but seems to work. I can't imagine trying to balance pennies & quarters on each leaf!! Your are right rothfl.....myself, but I'm sure many things have been tried and the pennies could work as well just hard to balance and maintain. Let me know how it is going....

• ima_digger
    11 years ago

FYI the paper plate on top of leaves is for too much light. You use the plate when the center leaves are tightly bunched, usually from too much light or too much fertilizer. If your plant continues to grow this way, eventually you will have to cut the top off and re-root it. If you can, place it in a bright window, or under lights about 6-8 inches from top. Hope this helps.

• perle_de_or
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will do some experimenting and see how it goes. I put down a couple of leaves and hopefully they will do something. I did think of cutting the crown off also.
    Perle.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths