Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o

Posted by jlm303 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 13:05

Hello all-
I have read some posts here and there when searching for information and thought it was time I joined up. I live in the Midwest and have around 30 violets, 20 or so orchids and few other gesneriads thrown in for luck, all in a house way too small for all this! Because of the house size, most of my plants are miniature or semi although I have a Harmony's White Lace that has been blooming its head off for years. I do love the vintage violets and have been searching for 'Rodeo Country' and Granger's 'Huron' after seeing them at shows. I can't complain, the search has led me to many other lovely violets. I don't have a question or comment, just wanted to introduce myself.

This post was edited by jlm303 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 13:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New member

What a beautiful display! Where did you get the plant stands? They would look great in our bay window if our snoopy cat wouldn't climb them! :)

'Genie

o

yes, i have some unwieldy orchids that would go well in plant stands like that ... do tell!

welcome to the land of ... "gee that's nice I'm going to have to put that on my list too" ...

The MW is great, except in winter! Ah, yes I remember having to walk 2 miles in snow 6 feet high to school, uphill both ways.

˘.˘ --~

dave

dave

o

They are votive candle displays! Usually the taller ones are too wide for the windowsill. These were perfect. I may well convert them for orchids in the winter when the violets go to my study under lights. (Less drafty)

o

Jim,

Beautiful display! (you do understand that we are all mumbling to ourselves about where we can place a similar set-up in our house...)

Linda

P.S. Welcome!

o

Jim,

Just read your page and noticed the mention of English roses in your garden. Where do you live in the Midwest? I'm in southern Ohio and I have tried Austin roses for years. It is so hot here most summers that they either fail to thrive or grow like a weed on steroids. I've been to several gardens in England and they are quite beautiful. In England. Not so much in Ohio. ;(

Linda

o

Now for the big question, Jim. Where did you get your votive stands?
I have searched but found nothing to compare.

Thanks for sharing, 'Genie

o

Hi Linda, Genie -

I sent a reply earlier this morning but I don't see it.
I live in central Illinois. It started as a good year for roses as we had so much rain. Now we are dealing with record black spot and powdery mildew. I do have a friend here who has grown gorgeous English roses for years. Right now, nothing looks too good. My goal is to someday have a garden that looks good in August!

The votive holders were just sitting there, half price, in the candle section of a home/garden store. I grabbed them both and ran!

Jodi

o

Love your display. Would you be willing to share the name of the store where you purchased it?

o

... I smell a road trip to Illinois ... closest wins ... Iowa ...

˘.˘ --~

dave

o

Or maybe Jodi should go buy us all one or two stands and ship them to us...

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here