Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Repotting without violence?...How is it even possible?

Begonia2005
11 years ago

I have just repotted a few AV-s and I felt so terrible trying to untangle the soil from the roots.

I seems to be that AV-s have very fine, thin and numerous roots, and they get so mixed and glued to the soil that it seems impossible to replace old soil with fresh, new kind without upsetting the root system. Am I doing something wrong? Could the soil in my plants have been too damp when I repotted? Thank you!

Comments (6)

• GCTBA
    11 years ago

Begonia the root system is a lot stronger than most of us imagine. I have cut off over threequarters of a root system and still had the plant regenerate.
    If the soil seems a little damp, with-hold water for a good few days and use a clear dome or zip-lock bag after the repotting.
    They will survive.
    Good luck

Andrew

• irina_co
    11 years ago

The main thing in repotting - do not bruise the tissue. It is better to trim the roots or leaves - than break and squash them.

When you are repotting the violet - you usually leave the good part of the rootball untouched - roots and old soil. If you have the reason to remove the old soil - like if it is super heavy and can be conductive to root rot later - hose it off. (Make sure that it doesn't go down the drain.)

Good Luck

irina

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

AV old soil removal efforts should also include to keep the crown....a round shaped area just below the leaves
    ... dry.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Mrlike2u -

Sorry - I cannot agree with your opinion.

This is definitely an old wives tale! Like it never rains in Africa.

You can wash it, you can hose it, you can spray it.

The rule is - let it dry before exposing to the light or drafty area. Blow the water off, blot it with a paper towel or just keep it in a protected area until it dries.

If it was necessary to do a major soil and root removal - I would keep the plant covered for a week or 2 to let it recover. If you are removing a lot of roots, you need to remove some of lower leaves as well.

I.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

The rule is - let it dry before exposing to the light or drafty area.

Okay if meaning you dont let the crown stay wet to long Wives tale or not I dont habit getting crowns wet. Reason ... In the first part for saving the micro efforts of drying them off or letting them dry in a short time. No big deal I saved a step

Other than that I am still all set on the "rule" being enjoy

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Mrlike -

whatever works for you. It is not absolutely necessary to get them wet - but a lukewarm shower is an easy way to remove the dust and leach the soil a bit. But if you feel more comfortable - lets say to use a brush to remove dust and cat hair - if a grower has these pests - I do - it also works.

Enjoyment is a must! When I see guys at the lunch break day after day passionately discussing baseball or football players like their own life depends on it - my first reaction - is it normal? - the second - they probably think us violet people even less normal. We have a hobby - we will enjoy it!

I.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH