Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

chimera parentage

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

does the master database have the parentage of chimeras?

I broke a leaf off moon child chimera, and was wondering who da mamma was ... cuz I could not resist planting the leaf to sees what I gets.

damn, this is fun again.

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

Comments (12)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Before we had a list of registered chimeras...now I turned the avsa.org site upside down - and couldn't find it...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave,

Chimeras are rogue off-spring of other types of blooms, usually fantasies which tend to be unstable. (You know drinking and that sort of thing). If you start a chimera from a leaf, I understand you will get a bloom of the dominant color of the chimera. I saw a leaf-grown plant from 'Yukako' and it was a blue blossom. And a beautiful plant.

Linda

And, yes, it is fun. You never know what you are going to get- frustration, disappointment, not the variety you bought, insects, mites, dirty nails with just the occasional victory to lure you into more of the same....

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for looking!

I: how's DH? On the mend, we hopes. Make him walk!

L. Oh no, another picture (yukako) to find and salivate over. I didn't think blue was possible. It has to be a purple ... ha!

Gonna have to get FC. Is it mac compatible?

ÃÂ.ÃÂ

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave,
    In the wacky world of Horticulture, light purple is called blue. Don't ask me why, I've never been able to find an answer. We Hort nerds like to blame the botanists....
    Don't know about the mac but there is a little bell ringing in my head that says it is not FC compatible. I may have read it somewhere...or just I'm just making stuff up.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Yukako

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's crazy talk ...

FC compatible ... who in their right mind ...

Yup, hear it all the time. Then they go and change the operating system (linex based) and all your old database programs don't work no more.

Best you can do is make a giant PDF file, and then hope you can cut and paste

Think of all the stuff you have stored on plants, heights, weights, progeny, those that go MIA. sports

And that's just me keeping track of things.

But, again I digress.

Not mac compatible?

that's crazy talk

which is why I'm nuts.

wanna play frisbie with some of my old floppy disks?

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Tough morning???

• irina_co
    10 years ago

TGIF, by the way...

DH is getting out of the hospital tomorrow - now part of his aorta is made of Teflon.
    Yukako is absolutely unique. It is a very stable chimera, it doesn't turn blue.Plus it is an easy hardy plant. If you root the suckers - you get true Yukako, another chimera with green stripes on white and another chimera with dark blue stripes on light blue petals - you really need to look - otherwise it not evident.

More of it - it is a chimera - that sometimes gives you a chimera from the leaf.

It holds the flowers for long long time - lots of AVs with green flowers do - and IMHO - even if you grow small amount of AVs - it should be one of them.
    I.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I.

How can you grow a small amount of AVs?

Nobody (hardly) can grow just one.

Hmm, I might have a new potato chip jingle ... if I could just lay my hands on the brand I am thinking of ...

Yukako dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave-King of the Puns. :)

Irina,

Best to DH and thank God for modern medicine.

Linda

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

Dave, does this type have a symmetrical foliage and sticking our flowers stems? Could you post a picture of your plant, please.
    Polina.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This what my chimera looks like, I suspect the parent had a blue/purple flower. It is very sweet ... I can hardly wait to decapitate it!

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

• 1beautylover2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Dave, it's a gorgeous flower! Do you have any chance a photo of the foliage - I to be sure that it's a symmetrical foliage and the flowers are sticking up, not falling down.
    Polina.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus