Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxonomist3

Reliance - tight crown

taxonomist3
11 years ago

I'm trying to identify exactly what the problem with this little guy is. It might be cyclamen mites, malnourishment, or too much light. Any ideas? I'd rather not chuck this guy as he's one of the few chimeras I have.

Comments (3)

• variegatednancy1
    11 years ago

I don't think this is mite because you have no other symptoms. Where is this plant located? Directly under lights?

Put a thin piece of toilet paper just on the crown to block the light for intensity. It should loosen the crown a little. If that doesn't work, think of soil or water pH.

Nancy

• korina
    11 years ago

Too much heat can do it too. What are your growing conditions? What, when, and how much are you feeding it? Do you have other plants, and are they doing this too?

Sorry for all the questions, but on another Av forum, we decided that almost *anything* can cause tight crowns.

• taxonomist3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Temperature is about right ranging from 70'F/22'C at night and 75'F/25'F during the day. Everything is located under lights for 12 hrs a day. Watering is done when the top of the soil is dry (and watered from the bottom) with water that averages being 7 in pH. Feeding is done once a month with a balanced 7-7-7 fertilizer. This guy was the first guy to show these symptoms, but now others are showing it too. I have had a piece of paper over the plant in hopes it'd show me whether it was too much light or not, unfortunately the plant hasn't done anything for 3 weeks.

Another thing I've noticed is white stuff on top of the soil, I cannot make out whether it looks like webbing from a mite or whether it's mold. I'm going to give them a good dousing/watering with some Physan20 laced water to see if it clears it up. Also I've ordered a small bottle of Avid to treat for mites. Hopefully something will work here.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures