Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillip44

A comment & question

Phillip44
10 years ago

My male male friends tend to tease me over my AVs' and my roses . I love my AVs' , dust them regularly . I fuss over them etc; etc; .Caring for plants gives me peace and when they are flowering ..... just....... WOW .

All my friends watch sports , are hunting and fishing and reading Sports I illustrated on FN . I fuss over my Afor Vs' and read books on AVs' and AV magazines .

If there any men on here , and if so have you taken any flak over your AVs'/gardening/ .

It is not that I care what they say , but I would like some input from other men .

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,
    Not a man here but, some of the greatest and most influential plants people have been/are men. Starting with Linnaeus and Gregor Mendel up through Luther Burbank and David Austin. When I started growing violets at 19, I got a lot of flak for growing 'Grandma plants' and hanging with the 'old ladies'. I didn't care. I loved my violets. They too, bring me peace and a sense of accomplishment as well as the awesome ability to bring about such beauty.
    I am forever preaching to my family that everyone needs a talent that few others can do. My daughter teaches deaf children through sign language, DH is a private pilot. My father grew the most beautiful roses I've ever seen. You, I, and all the others here, have the gift of a green thumb. Enjoy!

Linda

P.S. Maybe they're secretly a little jealous...

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Sure. Happens all the time.

Part of the static I get is from the family.

But suddenly they start "showing off" the garden (I have over 350 varieties of named hosta and lots of heuchera and tall grasses out there) or the house plants when friends come over.

You can always give one of your friends a leaf, or a leaf that you have started and "challenge" them to care for it.

Take it to the next level, become a master gardener. So many specialties from which to choose. Be amazed when you are the go-to guy for information about stuff.

Find a group and get connected, you'll be surprised how many others are out there.

Eg. Become an expert on tomatoes, and then your buds will marvel when the come over for a second-to-none BLT when they watch the game.

Good for you!

You gotta green thumb. Be proud of it!

ÃÂ _ÃÂ --~

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,
    Another thought: when I got my Bachelor's in Horticulture my class consisted of thirty men and three women. Definitely a male-dominated field.

Linda

• dlsmith0708
    10 years ago

Well Phillip. Don't feel out of place or anything like that. I'm 29 years old and I've been raising and growing orchids for over 8 years now. My obsession first started when I bought a orchid for what was my girlfriend then and now is my wife. At this time I am up to 12 orchids that I love to tend to and watch grow and flower. Here in the last two months I've gotten into the buzz of AV's. I never knew just how many different sizes and shapes and colors that were out there and now I've got 2 NOID plants bought from my local Lowes and I purchased four leaves from a seller on eBay and attempting my hand at growing from a leaf. Plants seem to have a way to calm me at times and take me away from every day reality when I need to escape. Yes my wife is always here but she enjoys to watch them grow and flower. She hates to maintain then but loves the fact I've got a green thumb. Sports are fun and all that. But you talk about gardens and flower beds, I would be right there and be able to discuss more about plants than any sports. No disrespect to he guys that enjoy there sports. I hunt and would go after a deer or a bear in a heart beat. But plants are always there. They don't talk back like everything else. Nothing wrong with a guy that love plants and things that flower.

Dan

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate the input .

Whitelacey , I took horticulture and landscape design myself . I even took a class in floral design . In the floral design class , I was the only male (really loved that ratio lol ) . Fat lot of good that did , every time I tried to get a job in that field I was considered "over qualified" . Never understood how one can be over qualified for a job . I get it , some expect more pay , but I told them I would start out on the same pay scale as the inexperienced .

I was never much into the typical Male distractions/interests/hobbies such as sports , hunting , fishing , cars/trucks/motorcycles etc; etc; . I prefer my dogs , fish and plants . Watching other men play a game bores me to end , I can not see harming an animal when I can get meat at the local butcher shop (not bashing hunters , I was raised on a farm and have slaughtered our own livestock ) and my truck is a means of getting around , nothing more .

This post was edited by Phillip44 on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 10:43

• philpet
    10 years ago

Not a man but I love violets and I really don't care what anyone else thinks, I talk to mine and I fuss over them, I just started growing them and I feel so happy when they respond by growing, I look on them and say ' I did that' so don't worry, all of s here shere you love and passion for these beautiful plants. Oh and trust me I am very far from being a Grandma. Lol.

• philpet
    10 years ago

Not a man but I love violets and I really don't care what anyone else thinks, I talk to mine and I fuss over them, I just started growing them and I feel so happy when they respond by growing, I look on them and say ' I did that' so don't worry, all of s here shere you love and passion for these beautiful plants. Oh and trust me I am very far from being a Grandma. Lol.

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disorchids , I prefer to grow from leaves myself . I used to be an instant gratification kind of guy and wanted plants grown and flowering . Then a friend sent me several leaf sets , and I have gained so much more satisfaction growing through propagation . I look at my plants that are healthy and flowering and think to myself "look what I did , BEAUTIFUL !" (even though it was mother nature , I just gave them the proper soil , light and water) .

I have been thinking about trying my hand at orchids .

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

My ID is Aegis500, ... and I'm a guy ... who likes to grow AV's (I currently have 150), ... and roses, and lots of other things.

I've always been fascinated with the wonder of a growing plant ... from the time we grew white beans in a cup in 1st grade.

Also, I'm a fan of beautiful things, so I grow a lot of decorative plants, rather than edibles.

I have a library of books on roses, and am doing fairly well at growing what I can in the Midwest. I've also planted Lilac, Forsythia, Dogwood, Magnolia, and a bunch of other flowering shrubs on the property, along with evergreens and trees.

There are few in my social circle who have the same drive for growing that I do (male or female), so they generally, just know that is something I do for a hobby.

I can usually tell when someone is interested in my hobby, and, if not, ... we just talk about something else. That's why I take the time to visit Gardenweb, and Dave's Garden, and "Violet Voice", etc.

Noone has razzed me about it since I was a kid, I guess.

Hey, you can't help what you love, and there have been a lot of men involved in the development of these plants that we love (David Austin, Kent Stork, etc.) , so take your stand beside them with pride ...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,

I grow orchids as well as violets. All I can say is that, if growing violets hasn't taught you patience, growing orchids will.
    Here is one of my favorites, currently in bloom. It is Phragmipedium 'Guardian Angel' (Phrag. caudatum var. wallisii x Phrag. Silver Eagle). This lovely blooms for me twice a year.

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Aegis,

I, too, visit the forums to have someone to talk with about plants. When I attempt to discuss my growing efforts with friends and family, their eyes glaze over and they go into a semi-comatose state.

Linda

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Phillip,

I too am a woman, but know what you're experiencing.

I used to work at a retail plant store, Rentokil Tropical Plants, and also spent a short time at Home Depot garden center.

It's true, the majority who purchased plants were women, but there were a good number of men, too.

At Rentokil, the retail store employees, 'in the beginning,' consisted of two men and myself.' Later, two females, (myself included) and one male.

90% of the time, when a male customer came in to purchase a plant/s, at some point he'd look at the male employee and start talking sports, or some such 'manly' conversation. lol.
    Guess those 90% male customers wanted to assure us they were straight.. As if it mattered.

Many male customers were regulars. On slow days, when I worked alone, male customers and I would talk.
    Some admitted they were embarrassed buying plants for reasons, friends/family would assume..........................
    I'd tell them, 'don't worry what others think.'

So, Phillip don't worry what your friends say. To be honest, it sounds like they're just messing with you. If they thought less of you, they wouldn't stop by or consider you a friend, right?

BTW, there are many men who dislike sports AND hunting. Especially hunting. Yuck.
    Males in my family wouldn't kill an animal..to think someone would harm the cutest bunny-rabbit or deer.

If you have access to a garden, grow veggies. When your friends drop by to watch a game, fix them a 'meaty' sandwich with organic tomatoes, lettuce, etc. There's a big difference between home-grown and store-bought veggies and fruit, too. Add a citrus tree, Phillip. Especially a lemon tree..they're um, um good.
    Veggies can be grown indoors too...in a very sunny window.

Really Phillip, don't worry what others say. Again, I think they're messing with you, so either ignore their comments or think of a come-back retort.

Toni

• dlsmith0708
    10 years ago

Whitelacey is exactly right when talking about AV's and orchids. Orchids require patience but just like the AV's its so worth the wait. I agree with you Phillip that there is such a satisfaction from growing things from leaves or seeds. It's such a rewarding feeling to think I grew that from one leaf or I grew that from seed and to see the plant reward you with flowers. I don't think my feeling for growing plants will ever change. I tried my hand a Christmas cactus plants, well they grow like crazy but for some reason they won't bloom for me. I understand there very temperamental with light and water at various times of the year. So I'll stick with the many other plants I enjoy just the same. I know my wife's family finds it very strange when I talk about going to Longwood Gardens 2-3 times a year just to explore and see all the cool things in bloom and take in all the beauty. I really only talk about Longwood because its the only place I know that's remotely close to where I live in PA. Just a few weeks ago my father in law thought I was a little on the strange side for buying two eastern red bud trees because I enjoy the beautiful flowers that form on the trunk in the spring. Now go figure, now the mother in law got to see pictures of the tree and since I talked about it now she wants one for there yard. So it's not always a bad thing for having someone in everyone's family that loves plants, animals or whatever beautiful things nature has to offer. I also agree with the other postings, I frankly don't care what other people think. I do the things I enjoy the most and that's what keeps me going in life when life hands me bad days at work or whatever else comes along each and every day.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

It's very difficult to believe that people can berate us for enjoying such a beautiful hobby. Lots of very creepy past-times out there that could be better candidates for such behavior.

Linda

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disorchids , We travel to the Outer Banks every year and I make a trip to the Elizabethan Gardens every time without fail . The wife and friends/family members want to rush through it , but I take my time slowly strolling or sitting down on a bench so I can take in all the plants . I have learned to go by myself so as not to allow the others to rush me and ruin my visit . I have hundreds of pictures from visits there that I will peruse during those cold Ky Winters .

Whitelacey - How funny you mention creepy past times . Just yesterday evening my wife commented on my AV hobby . She said to the effect that at least my hobbies bring beauty into the house with beautiful & colorful plants and fish . My hobbies are peaceful hobbies .

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would like to thank you all for participating in my first thread . I would also like to thank you all for being so welcoming , I know some forums (not AV forums) are kind of standoffish to new members .

I would also like to thank the Admins for allowing me to post such a trivial thread . I do not have anyone in my area (that I know) to talk AVs' .

I have been reading through thread after thread and have picked up many useful information and tips . There has been a couple of times I thought to myself "Uh Oh , I screwed that up !" . Live and learn

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,

I don't know where in Kentucky you are but here's a little something to tempt you: Ohio State African Violet Society
    is having their annual show next month. It's at Kingwood Gardens and there is a show and lots of vendors. If you have never been to Kingwood you are missing out: it is fantastic.
    I live in Cincinnati and have been to gardens all over the world (my family knows better than to dissent!), and I go to the Kingwood show every year. With the Violet show and sale and the gardens, it's an amazing day!
    Also, next year, the African Violet Society is having their show in Nashville. No gardens, but lots of amazing plants and an opportunity to learn from many experienced growers. And Nashville is easily drivable.
    And-as a bonus-lots of people with whom to talk plants without their drifting off to sleep...

Linda

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda , Sounds great ! I would love to make it and if I have the spare time and money , I may attend . I would be in heaven .

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting