Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagenie1

Where can I buy...

pagenie1
10 years ago

Hi All,

Where can I find dolomite lime and a good violet fertilizer online? I used to get a Peter's fertilizer from Cape Cod Violetry but have had not luck in finding a website for them.

Do Home Depot or Lowe's carry what I need? I love to save on postage!!! My choices locally are limited.

Thanks for any advice,
'Genie

Comments (13)

• paul_
    10 years ago

Can't help with the fertilizer per se, but as far as dolomite goes, Roberts Flower Supply carries that in a couple different grades/sizes. (I help them with sales when they attend orchid shows in Michigan so I see a lot of the products they offer. ) The fertilizers they carry are primarily directed at orchids but they do have a variety of different ones (with varying NPK levels). Perhaps one of them will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roberts Flower Supply

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

The old Peter's 20-20-20 is now manufactured under the name of Jack's 20-20-20. I believe it is still the same formula by the J. R. Peters company. Jack's is no longer available at HD or Lowe's. I have found it at local nurseries and also at orchid nurseries since you can use it on both AV's and orchids. They also sell a blossom booster buster version, 10-30-20. I have never used the Dolomite so maybe someone else can give you some info on that.

• pagenie1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Paul, Are you thinking of Diatomite? I didn't see the Dolomite Lime that I need.

Chiq, the Peter's that I had used in the past was 5-50-17. We had the most beautiful blooms. Since I had been growing just a few plants lately, a small container lasted for years. I just ran out!

• terrilou
    10 years ago

I think dolomite lime is difficult to find in garden centers or big box stores. The Violet Showcase carries lime and various fertilizers. Cape Cod does not have a website but you can contact them at ccviolets@msn.com They carry dolomite lime and Peters plus other fertilizer brands including Dyna-Gro and Optimara both of which contain no urea.

Terri

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

There is a chance that you may find Jack's at Earl May. I spent quite a bit of time looking elsewhere before I found it at EM. I don't know how far that chain goes, but I know you can find it across the MW. I also figure you'll be spending, in gas, the small amount in postage (up to $8) you pay if you order on line ... For me its 40 miles one way to find supplies, so unless I have other errands, I order on line

• pagenie1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a helpful group! Thank you, everyone.

I have sent a message to Cape Cod Violetry asking for the items I need.

Now, off to the Lyndon Lyon site, to test my self control! I want one of everything!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Cape Cod has a web-site. I placed an order Wednesday. The address is a bit misleading. Just google Cape Cod Violetry.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Cape Cod Violetry

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Jack's has way too much urea...

As far as I know - DynaGro, Optimara, Plant Marvel no urea is what is available without urea.

Bloom booster is not a good idea for every day use. In a long run it will ruin your crown. It should be used sparingly or alternated with other fertilizers. You shouldn't force your plant to bloom like there is no tomorrow, Balanced fertilizer keeps the whole plant happy and produces more blooms in a long run, not just for the show.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Hey Irina, the strep I got bounced back after I put it in an Oyama pot. I thot I was gonna kill it, it had such weepy leaves. It's sending up a bloom.

I hope it looks like this ...

Zlata, me thinks

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave,
    I hope it looks like that, too.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

WOW!!!

• paul_
    10 years ago

Oh bummer! Sorry, Genie! Could have sworn I saw dolomite on their site. I may indeed have been scanning too quickly and perhaps saw the Diatomite instead. Apologies.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I buy dolomite lime from Doug at Violet Showcase all the time. You can always call him - he is the most helpful positive guy - and check on it. If he is out of Dolomite = he will tell you when he is ordering it back.

Regarding diatomaceous earth - do not even bother. It doesn't work if is wet - so adding it to the soil is a waste of time. I found a great use of it outside - I had grasshoppers destroying my gladiolas - and dusting the leaves - gave them the fatal indigestion.You just need to reapply it after rain or watering.

I.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!