Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding powerful plant growth hormones,concentrated

Posted by dorotea 97404 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 13:46

HI; i am a newly amateur gardener; my cousin makes wonderful flowers, african violets,and orchids; she uses a powerful concentrated liquid plant growth hormone,which, altho very poisoneous if mishandled,works wonders on her plants.i have tried to find the same powerful liquid plant growth hormone in the small bottle, and cannot find it.i think they are very limited where i live.does anyone know the exact hormone,product, and where i would get it? maybe buy it on the web?i have tried the stupid big box hardware and garden centers here, nothing. can someone advise me? thanks so much, dorotea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding powerful plant growth hormones,concentrated

Hi Dorotea,

I don't know much about propagating orchids by cuttings and the necessity of using a growth hormone for success. I do know that from reading and personal experience that growth hormones don't do anything for African violets. I've even read that it can have a negative affect. So unless you are wanting the growth hormone also for orchids, I would save your money.

That wasn't your question though. In answer to your question, I'm sorry I don't know the product or the place where to find it.

Larry

o
RE: Finding powerful plant growth hormones,concentrated

Maybe you could ask your cousin since she uses it, and when you find out where she gets it and the specific name of the product please share the secret with the rest of us.

There is a product called Superthrive which is suppose to be a vitamin or hormone and not a true fertilizer. The company that sells it makes some spectacular claims, but from what I have read about this product they could all be exaggerations and overstatements in advertising. According to the labeling on the product it is used by the US Army and Navy, but I am wondering why these branches of our military would use much of it. But there are no warnings on the label that I remember reading about that stated that it may be poisonious if mishandled.

Thanks!

Curtis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here